Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
My tomato plants look beautiful. However, most of the tomatoes, when they start to turn red, they also start to spoil and turn black from the bottom up. Why is that? Could it be bugs or too much water?
Rate This FAQ
Your tomatoes have Blossom End Rot. It can be caused by inconsistent watering and/or a calcium deficiency. We have lots of calcium in our soil, so I bet it's your watering...
The tomatoes like to be watered down 18" every 5 days (your other vegetables can be watered down to a depth of 12" one time a week). Throw away the affected tomatoes because they usually taste terrible. If you water correctly, the new tomatoes should taste wonderful.
You may wish to go to the following website. It has excellent
information on Blossom End Rot, and pictures, so you can compare your
tomatoes with theirs.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How do I get rid of morning glory?
- I'm wondering if there is a variety of Almond tree that grows well in Davis county. And, are they self-fertile? Can they be grown near nectarines? (I've read that they shouldn't be grown near peaches as they can develop a bitter taste.)
- What causes plants to look dirty and lose their green color during the heat of the summer? One culprit is spider mites.
- How do I know when to cover tomatoes so the do not freeze?
- I am wrapping up my garden for the year. I have been looking at adding horse manure to my garden soil to boost the organic matter in it. This year I added NutriMulch (turkey manure blend) and that worked out well, but was expensive. I'm concerned about the soil quality. I notice that it's pretty hard when in big dry clods. Would I be hurting my garden to add green horse manure now, and tilling it in? I've read a little about deficiencies in the soil because of too much horse manure, so if it's safe or even a good idea to add to a garden, how much is the right amount?
- I am growing corn in a large garden box. My corn stalks are now five feet tall with several leaves, but none have any ears visible yet. When are ears supposed to be evident on a corn stalk?
- When should I spray my apple and apricat trees to prevent worms in the fruit? What product should I use? I planted a plum tree last fall, what should I do for it now?
- Where can I find a vegetable garden planting schedule guide for the Salt Lake Valley area?