Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
My tomato plants look beautiful. However, most of the tomatoes, when they start to turn red, they also start to spoil and turn black from the bottom up. Why is that? Could it be bugs or too much water?
Rate This FAQ
Your tomatoes have Blossom End Rot. It can be caused by inconsistent watering and/or a calcium deficiency. We have lots of calcium in our soil, so I bet it's your watering...
The tomatoes like to be watered down 18" every 5 days (your other vegetables can be watered down to a depth of 12" one time a week). Throw away the affected tomatoes because they usually taste terrible. If you water correctly, the new tomatoes should taste wonderful.
You may wish to go to the following website. It has excellent
information on Blossom End Rot, and pictures, so you can compare your
tomatoes with theirs.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have heard that some of my tomatoes have tomato blight. What is it and how do identify it? The leaves on the plants curl and then the plant dies. However, the fruit still sets and matures as the plant is dying.
- I live in Lindon and have heavy clay soil. I have been adding leaves and grass to my garden soil and it still compacts rapidly. Can I use the compost from the green and public waste dept. on a vegetable garden?
- I planted a garden last year and some animal kept eating it and we didn't yield anything from it. Aside from putting a fence around the garden is there anything else I could do?
- do ants eat one another?
- I planted 2 plum trees several years ago. The 3rd year I had a huge crop. The next 2 years the leaves had what I think is peach leaf curl or at least that's how it made the leaves look. I sprayed both years with no improvement. This year I've also sprayed but after blossoming, the leafing is very sickly, the leaves done even really form, they just make tiny clusters of pale spikes that look like tiny curled leaves. Is there anything I can so short of digging them out? Can they be saved or I am better off just starting from scratch? How to I make sure what is there doesn't contaminate the new trees? Thanks.
- I understand you have a service where you email spraying and care schedules to homeowners for home gardens and fruit trees. If so I would like to sign up. Please send me the info. Thanks, Mike
- when should I spray a cherry tree to get rid of the little white worms. What is the best product to use in controling this problem
- I found a spider in my garden among some weeds that matches the description of a black widow except it has three distinct white dots on its back.