Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
My tomato plants look beautiful. However, most of the tomatoes, when they start to turn red, they also start to spoil and turn black from the bottom up. Why is that? Could it be bugs or too much water?
Rate This FAQ
Your tomatoes have Blossom End Rot. It can be caused by inconsistent watering and/or a calcium deficiency. We have lots of calcium in our soil, so I bet it's your watering...
The tomatoes like to be watered down 18" every 5 days (your other vegetables can be watered down to a depth of 12" one time a week). Throw away the affected tomatoes because they usually taste terrible. If you water correctly, the new tomatoes should taste wonderful.
You may wish to go to the following website. It has excellent
information on Blossom End Rot, and pictures, so you can compare your
tomatoes with theirs.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- You might be a gardener if...
- I planted six Euonymus alatus compacta (burning bush) two years ago. The have not done well. They leaf beautifully in the spring, and then, regardless how much water I give them, the leaves turn brown around the edges and they look like they are dying. The next spring, I start all over again. Any suggestions?
- Winter Vegetable Gardening
- In preparing my soil for vegetable gardening, I've added too much chemical fertilizer. I haven't planted anything yet. Is it too late to fix this?
- I'm wondering if there is a variety of Almond tree that grows well in Davis county. And, are they self-fertile? Can they be grown near nectarines? (I've read that they shouldn't be grown near peaches as they can develop a bitter taste.)
- when should I plaint string beans
- I have cucumber plants that I started growing from seeds in march of this year. I replanted about 2 weeks ago into a 20 gallon tub. I put the plant in a back room where the sun comes in alot, it started growing really well then i put the plant out side during the day and bring it in at night. Since then the leaves have started turning brown on the edges and it doesn't look very good. I have a tomato plant also and it is doing just fine, its very green and getting bigger by the minute. Do you have any suggestions for me?
- When can I plant peas? Should the peas be soaked before planting them?