Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have three large Austrian Pine trees that I would like to xeriscape under. Do you have suggestions for low-water use plants that will grow in mostly shady conditions under pine trees?
Rate This FAQ
The "real" answer you won't want to hear: trees don't like anything planted under them that will compete with them and eat their nutrients and drink their water. They would prefer a bark mulch out as far as the dripline and would like to be left alone. However, if you insist on putting plants under your Austrian Pines, you will have to pick plants that do not need to be watered more than one time a month when it's hot, so that they match the watering needs of your pines.
They will have to tolerate shade, and you will have to plant "plants" rather than seeds because the seeds can't erminate without light. Perhaps our native Mahonia repens (height: about 1 1/2 to 2 feet)-Creeping Oregon Grape would do well.
Or maybe the (Symphoricarpos utahensis Rydb.)- 2-4 feet in height (up to 5').
ountain Snowberry- Symphoricarpos oreophilus A. Gray
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How late in the fall should I water trees and shrubs?
- Many years ago the back nieghbors laid sod about 6 inches higher than our sod and leaned it on the back cedar fence. They also put in small trees about 3 feet from the fence. The trees proved to be junk trees and now we have endless roots protruding above the ground 4-5 inches. If i hit them with the lawnmower cuts of a small bit of root and dulls the blade. Their are too many to cut out, if we lay sod over them will this solve the problem?? Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks
- How do I keep stray animals out of my yard?
- What are the best cures for fungus type lawn diseases. We've tried infrequent deeper watering, which makes it worse, higher mowing in the hotter months, airation shoes, and everthing else suggested. We know we have clay under the topsoil.
- Can you suggest some hardy perennials for my landscape?
- What trees are recommended for West Jordan (clay soil).
- I want to replace a sickly globe willow tree in my front, south-facing, sloping lawn. There are underground utility (water, gas, sewer) and irrigation lines running through the area. What trees would work best in this area?
- How late in the fall season can you lay sod in northern Utah?