Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have three large Austrian Pine trees that I would like to xeriscape under. Do you have suggestions for low-water use plants that will grow in mostly shady conditions under pine trees?
Rate This FAQ
The "real" answer you won't want to hear: trees don't like anything planted under them that will compete with them and eat their nutrients and drink their water. They would prefer a bark mulch out as far as the dripline and would like to be left alone. However, if you insist on putting plants under your Austrian Pines, you will have to pick plants that do not need to be watered more than one time a month when it's hot, so that they match the watering needs of your pines.
They will have to tolerate shade, and you will have to plant "plants" rather than seeds because the seeds can't erminate without light. Perhaps our native Mahonia repens (height: about 1 1/2 to 2 feet)-Creeping Oregon Grape would do well.
Or maybe the (Symphoricarpos utahensis Rydb.)- 2-4 feet in height (up to 5').
ountain Snowberry- Symphoricarpos oreophilus A. Gray
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I made the mistake of fertilizing my newly planted trees. I had heard that the salty, clay soil I have needs iron useable for the trees. I used chelated. Anyway two of the trees, a candian red cherry and a zelkova tree have dry crispy leaves on the north side of the tree. We have had very hot, windy weather. I have two other canadian cherries that look fine.
- Spotted spurge is taking over my lawn. What can I do now, in these hot August temperatures, to knock back this weed problem?
- Can you suggest some hardy perennials for my landscape?
- I have a lawn full of spiders. When I go to the flowers beds, probably a 100 spiders run out of the grass and bed. The spiders are about 3/8 of an inch long and dark brown. I would just like to get rid of them. What is the best approach?
- Do you have some pruning tips for ornamental and shade trees?
- How do I keep stray animals out of my yard?
- My sycamore tree has brown-reddish spots along the leaf veins. What is it?
- Do you have tips for edging my lawn?