Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have three large Austrian Pine trees that I would like to xeriscape under. Do you have suggestions for low-water use plants that will grow in mostly shady conditions under pine trees?
Rate This FAQ
The "real" answer you won't want to hear: trees don't like anything planted under them that will compete with them and eat their nutrients and drink their water. They would prefer a bark mulch out as far as the dripline and would like to be left alone. However, if you insist on putting plants under your Austrian Pines, you will have to pick plants that do not need to be watered more than one time a month when it's hot, so that they match the watering needs of your pines.
They will have to tolerate shade, and you will have to plant "plants" rather than seeds because the seeds can't erminate without light. Perhaps our native Mahonia repens (height: about 1 1/2 to 2 feet)-Creeping Oregon Grape would do well.
Or maybe the (Symphoricarpos utahensis Rydb.)- 2-4 feet in height (up to 5').
ountain Snowberry- Symphoricarpos oreophilus A. Gray
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I was surprised when I recently spotted a snake in my yard. Aren't they most active in the fall?
- What are the best cures for fungus type lawn diseases. We've tried infrequent deeper watering, which makes it worse, higher mowing in the hotter months, airation shoes, and everthing else suggested. We know we have clay under the topsoil.
- Why do maple tree and burning bush leaf edges turn brown in mid-summer?
- Something is digging up my bulbs (tulips, daffs, etc.) and eating them. I know I have a squirrel in my yard, but do they eat bulbs? What else would dig things up and eat them?
- I have raspberry plants that have grown to where they will be bearing this summer. And wouldn't you know it, we are moving. I want to dig them up just before we move, say in middle to late February. Can I put them in the same type of packaging they came in when purchased and then plant them in the spring when the ground thaws. Will they still bear fruit this year?
- How do I prevent aspen sprouts from coming up in my lawn?
- My sycamore tree has brown-reddish spots along the leaf veins. What is it?
- Do you have some pruning tips for ornamental and shade trees?