Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
When is the best time to seed native grasses such as streambank and western wheatgrass into an existing Kentucky Bluegrass lawn? Some of what I've read leads me to believe that it would be best to seed in late fall so the seed will germinate in the spring. But I wonder if it would be better to seed in early fall after stressing the KBG. I will also be seeding sheep fescue, but I've seen conflicting information on whether that is native or introduced. My goal is to have a lawn that can survive with no water, and stay green with very little water.
Rate This FAQ
A good time to do this is from August 15 to September 5. This allows the grass to germinate and get to the 3-4 leaf stage which is big enough to get through the winter. The late fall seeding for spring germination works better for legumes such as alfalfa and clover. It does not work as well for grass. The next best option is to seed in April. Sheep fescue is a native of North America.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- What causes holes in the trunk of my aspen tree?
- We have a 3 year old maple tree that seemed to be doing great, but never lost it's leaves last fall. It showed no sign of life this spring and we were ready to replace it. A week or so ago it started sending out leaves at it's crotch. I'm pretty sure the top of the tree is dead. Do we cut it down to it's crotch (losing at least 8 feet of branches)? Will it regain a shape and will it be strong enough to survive the wind? What should we do with this tree?!
- How can I tell when my pears are ripe?
- I live at an elevation of 6000ft. I am West of Cedar City in the mountains. I would like to know, what is the best low water and high traffic grass I should plant. I would like the type of grass that will stay green as early and as long as possible as well. Thank You Also, any good shade varieties?
- Do you have tips on firewise landscaping?
- What should I do to prepare my lawn for winter?
- Why do lilacs do so well?
- I bought an azaleas from costco. How do I take care of it?