Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
When is the best time to seed native grasses such as streambank and western wheatgrass into an existing Kentucky Bluegrass lawn? Some of what I've read leads me to believe that it would be best to seed in late fall so the seed will germinate in the spring. But I wonder if it would be better to seed in early fall after stressing the KBG. I will also be seeding sheep fescue, but I've seen conflicting information on whether that is native or introduced. My goal is to have a lawn that can survive with no water, and stay green with very little water.
Rate This FAQ
A good time to do this is from August 15 to September 5. This allows the grass to germinate and get to the 3-4 leaf stage which is big enough to get through the winter. The late fall seeding for spring germination works better for legumes such as alfalfa and clover. It does not work as well for grass. The next best option is to seed in April. Sheep fescue is a native of North America.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I live at an elevation of 6000ft. I am West of Cedar City in the mountains. I would like to know, what is the best low water and high traffic grass I should plant. I would like the type of grass that will stay green as early and as long as possible as well. Thank You Also, any good shade varieties?
- When do I spray my lawn for weeds?
- I was surprised when I recently spotted a snake in my yard. Aren't they most active in the fall?
- when should i apply a preemregent to control the weed oxalis that is in my lawn? can you reccomend a particular product?
- We live in Perry, Utah. We are getting our yard prepared for sprinklers and grass. We are doing a lot of rock in areas, so we are not watering as much grass etc. We are wondering about the grass itself. At this point we would like to put sod down, but we are wondering what type of grass we should be looking for that is heat and drought tolerant and that will do well all year long in the area where we live. Can you suggest a particular sod or seed, and a place to obtain it, that might work well for us?
- What Are Those Large Round Fungus Balls That Appeared In My Lawn Last Summer?
- I sodded my back yard 3 years ago with RTF. It has not held up well, especially in the higher traffic areas where it is completely dead. Any suggestions?
- Do you have tips on managing grasshoppers in my yard?