Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
When is the best time to seed native grasses such as streambank and western wheatgrass into an existing Kentucky Bluegrass lawn? Some of what I've read leads me to believe that it would be best to seed in late fall so the seed will germinate in the spring. But I wonder if it would be better to seed in early fall after stressing the KBG. I will also be seeding sheep fescue, but I've seen conflicting information on whether that is native or introduced. My goal is to have a lawn that can survive with no water, and stay green with very little water.
Rate This FAQ
A good time to do this is from August 15 to September 5. This allows the grass to germinate and get to the 3-4 leaf stage which is big enough to get through the winter. The late fall seeding for spring germination works better for legumes such as alfalfa and clover. It does not work as well for grass. The next best option is to seed in April. Sheep fescue is a native of North America.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I live in Toquerville, 20 miles north of St. George, but still just as hot. I'd like to plant a medium to large tree in my front yard to shade the garage a little. There is no grass, no regular water. I will be watering it by hand/hose until it's established & then would like something that could tolerate hot, dry summers. Maybe the Texas Honey Mesquite or African Sumac. Do you have any suggestions for me?
- How do I keep my lawn green during the hot summer months?
- Will hydrangias and dogwood trees grow in South Jordan?
- Why are my older pine and spruce trees dropping their needles?
- What's killing Spruce and Pine trees in Utah?
- I am purchasing a 30 year old home with three large (15+ feet) blue spruce trees growing in the front yard. I would prefer not to cut them down, is it possible to transplant a large blue spruce in Utah? If so, who would do it and who would want them?
- I have a lumpy yard. I have used a roller to flatten it with litte success I have also aerated and put seed as well and fertalizer down. What else can be done beforeI have to bring in a bobcat and start over?
- Is There Any Way To Eliminate Borers That Leave What Looks Like Sawdust At The Base Of Our Aspen Trees?