Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
When is the best time to seed native grasses such as streambank and western wheatgrass into an existing Kentucky Bluegrass lawn? Some of what I've read leads me to believe that it would be best to seed in late fall so the seed will germinate in the spring. But I wonder if it would be better to seed in early fall after stressing the KBG. I will also be seeding sheep fescue, but I've seen conflicting information on whether that is native or introduced. My goal is to have a lawn that can survive with no water, and stay green with very little water.
Rate This FAQ
A good time to do this is from August 15 to September 5. This allows the grass to germinate and get to the 3-4 leaf stage which is big enough to get through the winter. The late fall seeding for spring germination works better for legumes such as alfalfa and clover. It does not work as well for grass. The next best option is to seed in April. Sheep fescue is a native of North America.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Do you have tips for edging my lawn?
- What are the best cures for fungus type lawn diseases. We've tried infrequent deeper watering, which makes it worse, higher mowing in the hotter months, airation shoes, and everthing else suggested. We know we have clay under the topsoil.
- We will need to establish some native plants. How much do we have to water Greasewood, Four-wing Saltbush, Rabbitbrush, Green Ephedra, and Spiny Hopsage in #10 containers? We also have two trees, a 5'Utah Juniper and 3' tall Gambel Oaks to water. I understand it best to lightly water for a year and then wean them off in the wet season. Is this correct?
- My pear tree has dead stems that curl downward. What is happening?
- I have a very large Honey Locust tree on the West side of my house. It is dropping leaves and has a lost more dead branches then the previous years. What problems should I look for and what can I do to save this precious tree?
- How and when can I transplant small, 6-12 inch and medium, 5 ft joshua trees? The latter is more important at this point since it would be a shame to lose it.
- Why are my older pine and spruce trees dropping their needles?
- What trees are recommended for West Jordan (clay soil).