Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How to help youth develop talents
Rate This FAQ
Everyone has talents. No one is good at everything, but everyone is good at something and can improve the talents and gifts they have. Youth especially need to feel successful at something. Those who do are less likely to use alcohol or drugs or exhibit other negative behavior to fit in or feel worthwhile. If they do experiment out of curiosity, youth who feel successful in some way are less likely to continue the behavior and develop more serious problems. Talents or gifts include the obvious things -- getting good grades, having musical ability or being a good athlete. But being a good listener, being persistent or being friendly are also gifts. Parents and teachers may need to be talent scouts to see the less obvious gifts and help youth see and appreciate their own abilities. Consider these tips to help youth discover their talents. • Provide them with opportunities to pursue their interests and discover their unique abilities. Lessons, clubs, extra-curricular activities, field trips or structured youth activities can provide opportunities that spark talents.
• Recognize and praise them for their efforts. Whether they excel in a particular activity or not, youth should be praised for trying. Trying takes courage.
• Avoid comparisons with others whose gifts are different. Celebrate the unique talents of each child. Point out the less obvious gifts, such as being good with animals or being sensitive to other people's feelings.
• Give them opportunities to contribute using their talents. Being recognized for useful and worthwhile contributions helps youth feel important. If youth can fit in by doing positive things, there will be less need for them to find their niche doing negative things.• Help them know the difference between self-esteem and selfishness. Often youth may feel they don’t have enough self-esteem to try something new or share the talents they have. It is important to remember that self-esteem can often be confused with self-centeredness or selfishness. In that sense, self-esteem doesn't necessarily lead to good behavior. Many criminals or juvenile delinquents have high self esteem. On the other hand, there are many people who have accomplished much in the world who didn't necessarily have high self-esteem. For example, Abraham Lincoln didn’t have high self-esteem in the way we think of it today, and yet his talents and abilities positively affected the course of history. Youth develop a true sense of self-worth from the things they give rather than from the things they get. Helping them develop their gifts and providing them with opportunities to contribute to the good of others through using those gifts builds self-worth. It also lays the foundation for being a lifelong contributing member of society.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How can we keep the spark in our marriage?
- I have a 2 year old son who has a step grandfather. He has had the role of a grandfather to my son since the day he was born. Recently, my husband (and this is his stepfather his real father is deceased) and the step grandfather had a huge blow-up. We wanted to make up and talk immediately but we were shocked that he was "done with us".The step grandfather has decided to drop all of us including his beloved grandchild and missed the birth of his 2nd so called grandchild. The biological grandmother accepts his decision and has moved forward, but we are hurt most because our children have been abandoned by him.My question is, is it wrong to think that because he had a grandfather role and he assumed it that he should if at all try to resolve the issues with the stepson for the sake of the grandchildren? Is that too much to expect? How is he accountable? What are his responsibilities?
- What can you tell me about clothing with bug protection?
- Do You Have Tips On Getting A Good Night's Sleep?
- Do You Have Tips For Members of the "Sandwich Generation"?
- Do you have tips for those in the sandwich generation?
- Can family meetings help us become a stronger family?
- How Can I Plan A Successful Vacation?