Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
What Are Those Large Round Fungus Balls That Appeared In My Lawn Last Summer?
Rate This FAQ
Those large balls are part of a fungus that feeds on decaying material. They will normally not harm the grass, but can be unsightly.
* They are always present in the soil to a certain degree and probably did not come in from the seed. If you worked some organic material into the soil, the fungus may just be breaking it down.
* I know of no good control except to be certain to water deeply and infrequently, giving the soil a chance to dry out between waterings.
* The fungus requires water to survive and thrive and will become less of a problem if the soil is given a chance to dry out between waterings.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I wanted to ask your opinion on fertilizing my lawn. I have so many weeds this year that I don't know what to do. The lawn is currently being fertilized by a company that comes out every 2-3 months. I started using them at the end last summer but maybe I selected the wrong company. Could you give me a recommendation on what to do to cut down on the weeds? Should I switch to a different company or do you recommend fertilizing myself? Thanks, Ryan
- What's killing Spruce and Pine trees in Utah?
- How do I get rid of wild morning glory?
- Spotted spurge is taking over my lawn. What can I do now, in these hot August temperatures, to knock back this weed problem?
- Last May I planted an eight foot Sub-Alpine Fir in my new yard. My soil is very sandy. We deep watered the tree once a week throughout the hot season. The tree never showed any sign of stress until now (March). The ends of the branches are turning brown. I know these trees are sensitive. What can I do to best ensure the tree survives?
- My vinca minor has numerous yellow leaves this year. My husband keeps dumping water on it, thinking it needs more since it is yellow and at some instances brown. Are we watering it too much, or is it missing a nutrient that needs to be added? HELP!
- I wanted to find a herbiside for "Puncturevine" and/or "Tribulus Terrestris"...but found no place on your website to look for specific weed(s) and/or the best method to control and eliminiate them. Can you provide me with assistance on this issue?
- I have a lawn full of spiders. When I go to the flowers beds, probably a 100 spiders run out of the grass and bed. The spiders are about 3/8 of an inch long and dark brown. I would just like to get rid of them. What is the best approach?