Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
What Are Those Large Round Fungus Balls That Appeared In My Lawn Last Summer?
Rate This FAQ
Those large balls are part of a fungus that feeds on decaying material. They will normally not harm the grass, but can be unsightly.
* They are always present in the soil to a certain degree and probably did not come in from the seed. If you worked some organic material into the soil, the fungus may just be breaking it down.
* I know of no good control except to be certain to water deeply and infrequently, giving the soil a chance to dry out between waterings.
* The fungus requires water to survive and thrive and will become less of a problem if the soil is given a chance to dry out between waterings.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have 2 cottonless cottonwoods in my back yard. They are both about 7 years old. I noticed this spring that the trees have really grown tall but on the main limbs in the middle of the trees there are no limbs coming from them. I also find little pieces of new branches all over my lawn like they have come off right at the base where they connect to the tree. There are also at those points little scabs of some kind right where the branch has broken off. What is wrong and can I save these trees? I grew this kind of tree because they are fast growing trees and I wanted to enjoy some shade while I was still around to enjoy it. I am so afraid that there is something seriously wrong and those years will be lost. Can you help me with the info I have given you? I would appreciate it so much if you have an idea of what is wrong and what I can do to fix it.
- I've neglected to do my "last mow" up to this point. We've already had several nights of light frost. My grass is long but I worry about causing even more damage by mowing at this late juncture, mid-November. Are there any risks to mowing grass after the first few frosts?
- I have about an acre of commercial property that I want to control all vegetation. Is there a good ground sterilizer on the market? Where can I purchase it?
- Is There Any Way To Eliminate Borers That Leave What Looks Like Sawdust At The Base Of Our Aspen Trees?
- Last May I planted an eight foot Sub-Alpine Fir in my new yard. My soil is very sandy. We deep watered the tree once a week throughout the hot season. The tree never showed any sign of stress until now (March). The ends of the branches are turning brown. I know these trees are sensitive. What can I do to best ensure the tree survives?
- I have 30 acres of dry farm high on the west side of cache valley and would like like to cover it with many trees that are likely to survive and will eventually provide shade. What should I plant?
- How do I keep stray animals out of my yard?
- Do you have tips on planting trees and shrubs?