Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
What Are Those Large Round Fungus Balls That Appeared In My Lawn Last Summer?
Rate This FAQ
Those large balls are part of a fungus that feeds on decaying material. They will normally not harm the grass, but can be unsightly.
* They are always present in the soil to a certain degree and probably did not come in from the seed. If you worked some organic material into the soil, the fungus may just be breaking it down.
* I know of no good control except to be certain to water deeply and infrequently, giving the soil a chance to dry out between waterings.
* The fungus requires water to survive and thrive and will become less of a problem if the soil is given a chance to dry out between waterings.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have 2 cottonless cottonwoods in my back yard. They are both about 7 years old. I noticed this spring that the trees have really grown tall but on the main limbs in the middle of the trees there are no limbs coming from them. I also find little pieces of new branches all over my lawn like they have come off right at the base where they connect to the tree. There are also at those points little scabs of some kind right where the branch has broken off. What is wrong and can I save these trees? I grew this kind of tree because they are fast growing trees and I wanted to enjoy some shade while I was still around to enjoy it. I am so afraid that there is something seriously wrong and those years will be lost. Can you help me with the info I have given you? I would appreciate it so much if you have an idea of what is wrong and what I can do to fix it.
- I am in West Valley city, and for the past 3 years my grass has looked really good, and last year, the entire front park lane died, and I now have large areas in the front yard that are dead as well. I have heard of grubs, however I have no idea how to identify what is going on with the grass or how to treat it. You can pull up larges patches of grass easily, there don't appear to be any roots in some areas and I would like my grass to be pretty again. What can you recommend?
- Do you have tips on managing grasshoppers in my yard?
- We moved two Moab two years ago. My husband wants to grow a nut tree on the southwest side of our house that is just bare dirt and gravel now. We also want a shade tree (no fruits or nuts) in our front yard that faces South/Southeast to give our house shade. I am originally from Utah County and I miss my trees! Is there anything comparable that would grow here in the clay?
- when should i apply a preemregent to control the weed oxalis that is in my lawn? can you reccomend a particular product?
- I have about an acre of commercial property that I want to control all vegetation. Is there a good ground sterilizer on the market? Where can I purchase it?
- I'm getting ready to plant grass in my back yard either this fall or in the spring. I'm wondering if dwarf fescue will grow well here in Springville, or if I would be better off planting bluegrass? I had dewarf fescue in Southern California and really liked it.
- How is the best way to kill morning glory weeds in a new lawn?