Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How do I get rid of morning glory?
Rate This FAQ
The true answer is: you don't. But you can slow it down and manage it. When temperatures are cool enough (80 daytime max), and bindweed is in the lawn, you can spray it with an herbicide containing 2,4-D. You cannot spray these weedkillers while temperatures reach above 80 for one or two days after spraying, because the chemical will volatilize and float over to nearby plants and damage them. In areas where there isn't any other desired plants, you can spray bindweed with a broad spectrum herbicide containing glyphosate (like Roundup).http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7462.html
Bindweed is really loving our hot weather, because our Kentucky bluegrass is heat stressed and not competing well. A vigorous, healthy lawn can usually out-compete bindweed. Three to four inches of mulch over soil will keep bindweed under control, too.
Here's a link to more information about field bindweed:
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I planted 2 plum trees several years ago. The 3rd year I had a huge crop. The next 2 years the leaves had what I think is peach leaf curl or at least that's how it made the leaves look. I sprayed both years with no improvement. This year I've also sprayed but after blossoming, the leafing is very sickly, the leaves done even really form, they just make tiny clusters of pale spikes that look like tiny curled leaves. Is there anything I can so short of digging them out? Can they be saved or I am better off just starting from scratch? How to I make sure what is there doesn't contaminate the new trees? Thanks.
- Moved to a new location in Riverton and started a garden. This spring I added compost and steer manure. The garden is watered using secondary irrigation. The leaves on the beans, corn, and strawberries turn yellow with a burned look on the outer edges of the leaves and then the plant dies. The tomatoes and melon plants all seem to be doing well. Any idea's?
- A look at gardening catalog terms
- I want to find out about the master gardener program, my computer wont let me link, can you give me more info or a different link address or something. I want to know sign up date class times, location, cost and if aid is available. Thanks so much for your help.
- How do I get rid of the subterranean creature(s) (moles?)that pushing up piles of freshly excavated dirt in all my flower beds and into my sprinkler valve boxes?
- Do you have tips for growing cauliflower and celery?
- how many eggplants do you get from one plant.
- I would like to plant red seedless grapes. What time of the year and what variety work in Utah.