Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Do you have some pruning tips for ornamental and shade trees?
Rate This FAQ
Here are some pruning tips for ornamental and shade trees:
* When trimming trees, remember that the tree limbs and branches will stay at the same height for the entire life of the tree. The growing point for the tree is located in the top terminal bud, and the rest of the tree will only grow in circumference. If the branch is four feet off the ground today, it will be four feet off the ground in 20 years.
* You can safely prune most trees through the end of May. Most pruning is done before the tree leaves out because it is easier to see where to prune and easier to get into the tree. I recommend pruning them in March and early April.
* Do very little pruning on ornamental trees. Prune wood that is dead, diseased or injured and branches that cross (rub), grow back into the center of the tree or are out of place. Be sure to keep the natural shape of the tree intact.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- There are brown spots in my lawn every summer, some are round and others are ribbon shaped. What can I do to prevent this problem?
- How invasive are globe willows? Also, what is the distance they should be from the septic system and water lines, etc?
- Will hydrangias and dogwood trees grow in South Jordan?
- How do I keep my lawn green during the hot summer months?
- Do you have tips for making my yard more colorful this spring?
- I want to replace a sickly globe willow tree in my front, south-facing, sloping lawn. There are underground utility (water, gas, sewer) and irrigation lines running through the area. What trees would work best in this area?
- What herbicide/killer do we use to eradicate "salt cedar" & cheat grass??
- I have read that one should water infrequently and then water to penetrate 6 to 10 inches especially if one has necrotic ring spot. I live in Sandy where the top soil is only four inches and then sand and rock. Does it make sense to water 6 to 8 inches? Also does necrotic ring spot live in sandy rocky soil? Is it possible to control or eliminate the necrotic ring spot by using a service or must I excavate and if so to what extent?