Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I built a house last year and we have ants all over. They are coming back now that the weather is warming up. What can I do to get rid of them?
Rate This FAQ
The best method of control varies by the species of ant. Some species of ants like sweets, while others like oils and meat products, such as pet food. Large black ants and carpenter ants live inside houses in damp areas and decaying wood, while other species maintain nests in the soil outside of homes.
When ants locate a food supply, they lay down an odor trail back to the nest so others can find the supply. Generally speaking, the best control is to eliminate the food supply, destroy the odor trail by washing the surface and use caulking material to plug up any cracks or holes by which the ants are entering the home.
Sticky traps, such as those used to catch cockroaches, can also be used to control ants. If using this method, however, it is important to eliminate the food supply and odor trails as well, because the lack of ants returning to the nest will stimulate the queen to produce more replacement workers.
Submit Your Suggestion
- I have just discovered an ant colony in my outdoor herb pot. I noticed soil build up around a couple of the herbs, thyme and rosemary and also soil build up around the drain holes. This pot is 20 inches across and 15 inches deep. How can I get rid of the ants without damaging the herbs or poisoning my family? Thank you.
Other Questions In This Topic
- Do you have some tips on clothing storage?
- Small black ants have been invading my kitchen. How do I get rid of them?
- Do you have tips on table etiquette?
- The candle dripped wax onto my table cloth how do I get the stain out?
- What should I do if I encounter a rattlesnake?
- How can I control the large numbers of insects congregating on the exterior of my house?
- Do you have any snow removal tips?
- My child wrote on the wall with a crayon. How do I get the crayon off?