Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I built a house last year and we have ants all over. They are coming back now that the weather is warming up. What can I do to get rid of them?
Rate This FAQ
The best method of control varies by the species of ant. Some species of ants like sweets, while others like oils and meat products, such as pet food. Large black ants and carpenter ants live inside houses in damp areas and decaying wood, while other species maintain nests in the soil outside of homes.
When ants locate a food supply, they lay down an odor trail back to the nest so others can find the supply. Generally speaking, the best control is to eliminate the food supply, destroy the odor trail by washing the surface and use caulking material to plug up any cracks or holes by which the ants are entering the home.
Sticky traps, such as those used to catch cockroaches, can also be used to control ants. If using this method, however, it is important to eliminate the food supply and odor trails as well, because the lack of ants returning to the nest will stimulate the queen to produce more replacement workers.
Submit Your Suggestion
- I have just discovered an ant colony in my outdoor herb pot. I noticed soil build up around a couple of the herbs, thyme and rosemary and also soil build up around the drain holes. This pot is 20 inches across and 15 inches deep. How can I get rid of the ants without damaging the herbs or poisoning my family? Thank you.
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have some water pipes to my tub on on a outside wall. What can be done to keep them from freezing and breaking?
- I have, what may be, a rat in my back yard. I have pictures that I could send to you. It is eating my bird food, but other than that, doesn't seem to be a problem....yet. It actually lives next door and comes under my fence to get food (I have a black lab that is in our yard so I think they live next door for their safety). Could you tell me if I need to get rid of it for health...danger...or other reasons? I know our area has rats in the fields (Milcreek area), I just don't feel comfortable with one this close to my house.
- We are remodeling our kitchen, and would like to know what is the best kind of stove for canning. I have had to replace several heating elements on my current electric stove because of canning. I usually use a water bath canner, does a gas stove generate enough heat for canning?
- We recently moved to Utah and live in Uintah Highlands. The past couple of weeks we have noticed an incredibly high concentration of a black and red beetle looking flying insect at our windows and on our house. When I say high concentration, I mean too many to count. We are not familiar with these insects and are wondering how we can get rid of them.
- How can I snake proof my home?
- What should I do if I encounter a rattlesnake?
- Do you have snow removal tips?
- My child wrote on the wall with a crayon. How do I get the crayon off?