Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I built a house last year and we have ants all over. They are coming back now that the weather is warming up. What can I do to get rid of them?
Rate This FAQ
The best method of control varies by the species of ant. Some species of ants like sweets, while others like oils and meat products, such as pet food. Large black ants and carpenter ants live inside houses in damp areas and decaying wood, while other species maintain nests in the soil outside of homes.
When ants locate a food supply, they lay down an odor trail back to the nest so others can find the supply. Generally speaking, the best control is to eliminate the food supply, destroy the odor trail by washing the surface and use caulking material to plug up any cracks or holes by which the ants are entering the home.
Sticky traps, such as those used to catch cockroaches, can also be used to control ants. If using this method, however, it is important to eliminate the food supply and odor trails as well, because the lack of ants returning to the nest will stimulate the queen to produce more replacement workers.
Submit Your Suggestion
- I have just discovered an ant colony in my outdoor herb pot. I noticed soil build up around a couple of the herbs, thyme and rosemary and also soil build up around the drain holes. This pot is 20 inches across and 15 inches deep. How can I get rid of the ants without damaging the herbs or poisoning my family? Thank you.
Other Questions In This Topic
- Box Elder bugs have emerged already and are breeding. They get into the house and crawl all over the west facing exterior house wallsand are all over the vegetable garden beds. How do I erradicate them?
- My poinsetta is still lovely, how can I keep it that way?
- How do I keep my pipes from freezing?
- How do I keep mice out of my house?
- Do you have tips on energy efficiency in the kitchen?
- The candle dripped wax onto my table cloth how do I get the stain out?
- How do I prevent my pipes from freezing?
- I rent out a condo in a very clean complex in Holladay. My new renter called me in a panic believing she has cockroaches. The service I then had spray the unit said "they had never seen cockroaches in 20 years here." She called again saying they still come out at night from under her refrigerator and dishwasher. I had her save some in a bag and overnight, something in the bag hatched and there were dozens. The adults look rather like the photo of a cockroach I downloaded from WikiPedia, but they are only about 3/4" long. Can you tell me about cockroaches in Utah? Who can I get to identify these insects? How can we get rid of them.