Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We have a 3 year old maple tree that seemed to be doing great, but never lost it's leaves last fall. It showed no sign of life this spring and we were ready to replace it. A week or so ago it started sending out leaves at it's crotch. I'm pretty sure the top of the tree is dead. Do we cut it down to it's crotch (losing at least 8 feet of branches)? Will it regain a shape and will it be strong enough to survive the wind? What should we do with this tree?!
Rate This FAQ
The top of your tree seems to have died for some reason. Cutting it back to just beyond the live shoots is appropriate (make the cut in dead wood rahter than live). Eventually you can prune it to a single trunk, but wait a few years. There's a chance that the tree is grafted and is growing back from below the graft. If so, it will be a maple, but could look quite a bit different from the original, and could even be a different species.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We have solanum dulcamara, creeping nightshade, growing in our back yard. I could use some advice in how to get rid of it. Also, how dangerous is the plant to touch? Is the plant dangerous only when ingested?
- What causes holes in the trunk of my aspen tree?
- How and when can I transplant small, 6-12 inch and medium, 5 ft joshua trees? The latter is more important at this point since it would be a shame to lose it.
- We have clover infesting our grass. Each clover plant has these pod-like objects, that when picked or brushed up against causes white larva-like and red seeds to hop or pop off. The red seeds stick to skin and clothing and is irritating to the skin. The clovers also have little yellow flowers that sprout. How do we get rid of these clovers so we might play and use our lawn again. How do you keep them from coming back?
- Due to the dry season, the weeds are overtaking our lawn. Besides watering, is there a weed killer I can apply when it is so hot? Is there a fertilizer or food that would help it?
- I bought an azaleas from costco. How do I take care of it?
- How do I know when to pick my fruit?
- Do you have tips on managing grasshoppers in my yard?