Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I have a bartlett pear tree. A Limb is almost black, but growth was still coming out of the ends, so i didn't prune it off the tree all the way in the spring. Now other parts of the tree are turning black, some of the leaves are curling and turning black as well as some of the fruit. Can I save the tree, or do I need to pull it out. Also will this spread to my other two nearby peach and apple tree.
Rate This FAQ
Bartlett pear is very susceptible to fire blight, a bacterial disease that can eventually kill the entire tree.
Here is a link to more detailed information about fire blight:
and here is a link to a webpage with pictures of fireblight:
Apple is also susceptible to fireblight, but peach is not. Always watch your orchard carefully. If you see a branch tip showing the typical "crook" and blackened leaves, prune the branch back at least 12 inches below any discoloration. This will most likely prevent the disease from spreading into the rest of the tree.
On the other hand, are you sure your tree was not freeze damaged a couple of weeks ago? Blackened leaves are often caused by freeze damage. My grape plant was damaged , but new growth looks okay. If you see new, healthy leaves growing from the same branch tips where leaves are blackened, perhaps the tree is fine.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Can we grow the new Honey Crisp apple here?
- I had my apple tree pruned this spring and ever since then apple suckers have been coming up all over my yard; especially in my grass. Nothing I've sprayed seems to kill off the suckers, including round-up and sucker stopper. What do you recommend to erradicate apple suckers?
- We have scrub oak in our back yard. Almost overnight we have thousands of little green worms that have made webs over the leaves of the trees and are eating every green leaf in sight! Help! What do we do???
- Why is the timing of dormant spray important?
- How do I keep the little white worms out of my cherries?
- How do I get rid of codling moth?
- Can GF-120 be used by home gardeners to control Cherry fruit fly? How should it be applied?
- How can I keep my pears and apples worm free?