FAQ

Question

Q

We have solanum dulcamara, creeping nightshade, growing in our back yard. I could use some advice in how to get rid of it. Also, how dangerous is the plant to touch? Is the plant dangerous only when ingested?

Answer(s)

A

All parts of nightshade are toxic when ingested , but unripe berries are especially poisonous. Touching the plant will not irritate most people.

As specified in the USU Extension publication "Landscape and Garden Weed Control", nightshade can be controlled with herbicides containing isoxaben or oxyfluorfen.  (http://extension.usu.edu/files/gardpubs/weedcont.htm)

Posted on 5 Jun 2007

Maggie Wolf
Horticulture Agent, Salt Lake County

Other Questions In This Topic