Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How and when can I transplant small, 6-12 inch and medium, 5 ft joshua trees? The latter is more important at this point since it would be a shame to lose it.
Rate This FAQ
The only recommendations I could find about transplanting Joshua trees are for Arizona, so just move up the dates (our growing season is much shorter here than there). Take a look:
I know Joshua trees can survive here in the Salt Lake Valley, but try to avoid low areas where cold air can pool - those are frost pockets. The root system you dig up to transplant will be fairly shallow. You must support the trees with stakes at least one year so that they won't fall over.
The smaller plant has a better chance at surviving, since the tall plant will have much higher water demands and relatively fewer roots. Be sure to give the plants extra irrigation this fall and next spring until the root systems can regenerate. But, don't keep the soil too moist or the roots will rot.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Will hydrangias and dogwood trees grow in South Jordan?
- I am looking for a native grass, or a grass that behaves as a native, does not need irrigated once established, does not need mowed, for a hill in a St.George back yard. Cottonwood trees shade the area but it also gets sun. I was going to use Buffalograss seed, but some people at a nursery in St.George said that it is too hot for Buffalograss. Do you have any suggestions?
- I sodded my back yard 3 years ago with RTF. It has not held up well, especially in the higher traffic areas where it is completely dead. Any suggestions?
- What fall gardening tasks will help reduce plant pests next year?
- How late in the fall season can you lay sod in northern Utah?
- We live in West Jordan in an area with very clay soil. We would like to plant some low-lying evergreen shrubs in a narrow strip between our RV pad and a short vinyl fence. Do you have any plant recommendations that will work in our soil and don't require a lot of maintenence?
- How invasive are globe willows? Also, what is the distance they should be from the septic system and water lines, etc?
- I have about an acre of commercial property that I want to control all vegetation. Is there a good ground sterilizer on the market? Where can I purchase it?