Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How and when can I transplant small, 6-12 inch and medium, 5 ft joshua trees? The latter is more important at this point since it would be a shame to lose it.
Rate This FAQ
The only recommendations I could find about transplanting Joshua trees are for Arizona, so just move up the dates (our growing season is much shorter here than there). Take a look:
I know Joshua trees can survive here in the Salt Lake Valley, but try to avoid low areas where cold air can pool - those are frost pockets. The root system you dig up to transplant will be fairly shallow. You must support the trees with stakes at least one year so that they won't fall over.
The smaller plant has a better chance at surviving, since the tall plant will have much higher water demands and relatively fewer roots. Be sure to give the plants extra irrigation this fall and next spring until the root systems can regenerate. But, don't keep the soil too moist or the roots will rot.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- My pear tree has dead stems that curl downward. What is happening?
- Many years ago the back nieghbors laid sod about 6 inches higher than our sod and leaned it on the back cedar fence. They also put in small trees about 3 feet from the fence. The trees proved to be junk trees and now we have endless roots protruding above the ground 4-5 inches. If i hit them with the lawnmower cuts of a small bit of root and dulls the blade. Their are too many to cut out, if we lay sod over them will this solve the problem?? Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks
- Why do lilacs do so well?
- I am buying a new house in Salt Lake County, and the entire back yard is weeds. I want to put in a garden towards the back and fill in the rest with grass. What is the best way to kill the weeds completely, without killing the new grass and affecting the garden?
- When should I be pruning my roses?
- when should i apply a preemregent to control the weed oxalis that is in my lawn? can you reccomend a particular product?
- I wanted to find a herbiside for "Puncturevine" and/or "Tribulus Terrestris"...but found no place on your website to look for specific weed(s) and/or the best method to control and eliminiate them. Can you provide me with assistance on this issue?
- What should I do to prepare my lawn for winter?