Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I made the mistake of fertilizing my newly planted trees. I had heard that the salty, clay soil I have needs iron useable for the trees. I used chelated. Anyway two of the trees, a candian red cherry and a zelkova tree have dry crispy leaves on the north side of the tree. We have had very hot, windy weather. I have two other canadian cherries that look fine.
Rate This FAQ
Don't beat yourself up! With earlier-than-usual hot spring weather and dessicating winds, crispy leaves would probably have happened no matter what you did. However, USU Extension recommends that you wait to fertilize newly planted trees until the following spring, so that the tree will tend to concentrate energy on root growth rather than leaf growth.
Take care to keep the trees watered, but also allow the soil to drain between waterings, so the roots won't drown and rot.
If you are using canal or well or secondary water for irrigation, you can have it tested to be sure the salt level is not too high. Also, a soil test would tell you the pH, salinity, and levels of potassium and phosphorous, so you would know whether to amend the soil or leach out salts before planting (too late now, but it's still a good idea to know where you stand regarding soil). Read how to take samples and order tests at this website: www.usual.usu.edu
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- When is the best time to plant my grass in the spring? And how much fertilizer should I put on if any?
- Yesterday I applied "Scotts Turf Builder Plus 2 Weed Control" to my lawn. Unfortunately, I had the drop spreader set incorrectly. As a result I later discovered that I had accidently applied 4-5 times as much fertizer as specified on the bag. Will this damage the lawn? Is there anything I can do to prevent damage?
- I have a 25-foot tall scrub oak that appears to be dying. If it is anthracnose that is killing it, can it be saved? There are some commercial, injectable products that claim success. Is it possible?
- What fall gardening tasks will help reduce plant pests next year?
- Do you have tips for naturalizing a landscape with bulbs?
- Why do maple tree and burning bush leaf edges turn brown in mid-summer?
- What herbicide/killer do we use to eradicate "salt cedar" & cheat grass??
- Do you have tips for newly planted trees?