Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
What are the best shade trees to plant in syracuse? Is it true that if they are fast growing they tend to break easily? Is that common or am I worrying to much about that?
Rate This FAQ
Yes, the old saying "live fast, die young" is generally true for trees. The softer wood of poplars, willows, locust, and other fast-growing trees is weaker and more often infested by pests and disease.
So, if you need quick shade, plant a fast-growing tree, but also plant a slower-growing tree, so that when the fast one dies in 15 years, you will have a good-sized strong tree to provide shade in that area.
"Selecting and Planting Landscape Trees" is a booklet available in your county USU Extension office, plus it is available for download from our website (http://extension.usu.edu/forestry/HomeTown/Select_SelectionandPlanting.htm)
This is a very good resource to help you make your tree selection.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Leaves on my maple tree have turned yellow, but the veins are green. Is this an iron problem?
- We have thousands of little green worms/caterpillars hanging from webs in our trees, eating the leaves til they are bare. What can we do to get rid of them?
- I purchased a white and pink dog wood from the nursery at Lowe's. We planted it according to directions about two weeks ago and I don't see any new growth on it at all yet. I broke off a few small twigs and it is still green. They are only about 4 feet high and were in pots when purchased. There were no leaves on them only bare branches. How long does it take to see if they are growing properly since they are guaranteed if they die. Thank you
- How do I keep my lawn green during the hot summer months?
- Could you pleae identify the pine-like tree on the north side of our home? The needles are on two sides of the twig rather than on all four sides. They (the needles) are very soft and are dark green. At this time of the year (Sep), the trees bear red berries. The trees are approximately 35 years old and are 12-14 feet tall. Thank you very much for your assistance!
- What can I do now to prevent weeds in my lawn?
- What do the numbers on the fertilizer package mean?
- When should I be pruning my roses?