Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
What are the best shade trees to plant in syracuse? Is it true that if they are fast growing they tend to break easily? Is that common or am I worrying to much about that?
Rate This FAQ
Yes, the old saying "live fast, die young" is generally true for trees. The softer wood of poplars, willows, locust, and other fast-growing trees is weaker and more often infested by pests and disease.
So, if you need quick shade, plant a fast-growing tree, but also plant a slower-growing tree, so that when the fast one dies in 15 years, you will have a good-sized strong tree to provide shade in that area.
"Selecting and Planting Landscape Trees" is a booklet available in your county USU Extension office, plus it is available for download from our website (http://extension.usu.edu/forestry/HomeTown/Select_SelectionandPlanting.htm)
This is a very good resource to help you make your tree selection.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- What tasks should I be doing now in my orchard?
- We live in Riverton with heavy clay soil. Will gypsum pellets help the soil so water does not run off so much? Can gypsum be applied on top of existing grass? In soil flower beds? In vegetable gardens? Is Utelite better than gypsum? Thank you.
- What is killing the aspen trees in our forests?
- When do I cut back my shrubs?
- We have clover infesting our grass. Each clover plant has these pod-like objects, that when picked or brushed up against causes white larva-like and red seeds to hop or pop off. The red seeds stick to skin and clothing and is irritating to the skin. The clovers also have little yellow flowers that sprout. How do we get rid of these clovers so we might play and use our lawn again. How do you keep them from coming back?
- I live at an elevation of 6000ft. I am West of Cedar City in the mountains. I would like to know, what is the best low water and high traffic grass I should plant. I would like the type of grass that will stay green as early and as long as possible as well. Thank You Also, any good shade varieties?
- When is the best time to plant my grass in the spring? And how much fertilizer should I put on if any?
- How do I prune my roses?