Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I planted 2 plum trees several years ago. The 3rd year I had a huge crop. The next 2 years the leaves had what I think is peach leaf curl or at least that's how it made the leaves look. I sprayed both years with no improvement. This year I've also sprayed but after blossoming, the leafing is very sickly, the leaves done even really form, they just make tiny clusters of pale spikes that look like tiny curled leaves. Is there anything I can so short of digging them out? Can they be saved or I am better off just starting from scratch? How to I make sure what is there doesn't contaminate the new trees? Thanks.
Rate This FAQ
I have 2 plum trees in my yard - planted 3 years ago. One is a Santa Rosa, the other an Ozark Premier. Every spring, the leaves on the Ozark Premiere look like what you are describing. The problem is aphids. As they feed on new growth, the leaves are damaged, so as leaves expand they are twisted and deformed. Aphids are then able to "hide" in the curling leaves, so it becomes very difficult to treat. The Santa Rosa plum is hardly affected at all!
Early this spring, I sprayed both trees with dormant oil. It really helped reduce the aphid damage on the Ozark Premiere.
Here is a link to more information about Leaf Curl Plum Aphid: http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r611301811.html
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- The last few years, I have had persistent grass growth in my vegetable garden. I till the area each fall and spring, and pull out and discard all the vegetable plants. For the first couple of months, its easy to control the weeds and grass, then about 2/3 of the way through the summer, the grass starts to take over. By the time I pull out the plants in the fall, I practically have a lawn underneath them. Now that everything is pulled up, should I spray Round-up or another grass killer on the entire garden area? Or is there a better way to control the grass?
- What is the secret to getting carrots to germinate?
- I've been told that broccoli gets worms or flies in it in this area. Is this true, and if so is there a pesticide or other way to prevent these pests?
- Do you have tips on pickling vegetables?
- I planted my tomatoes last Thursday, May 22. It was just before all this rain and colder air came in. Now all the plants leaves are turning yellow/cream color, except for the veins are staying green. Some neighbors said they might have had too much water, I have never had tomatoes do this before.
- I am looking for information on when pumkins are ripe.
- How do I control field bind weed?
- Do you have tips for growing water lilies?