Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I planted 2 plum trees several years ago. The 3rd year I had a huge crop. The next 2 years the leaves had what I think is peach leaf curl or at least that's how it made the leaves look. I sprayed both years with no improvement. This year I've also sprayed but after blossoming, the leafing is very sickly, the leaves done even really form, they just make tiny clusters of pale spikes that look like tiny curled leaves. Is there anything I can so short of digging them out? Can they be saved or I am better off just starting from scratch? How to I make sure what is there doesn't contaminate the new trees? Thanks.
Rate This FAQ
I have 2 plum trees in my yard - planted 3 years ago. One is a Santa Rosa, the other an Ozark Premier. Every spring, the leaves on the Ozark Premiere look like what you are describing. The problem is aphids. As they feed on new growth, the leaves are damaged, so as leaves expand they are twisted and deformed. Aphids are then able to "hide" in the curling leaves, so it becomes very difficult to treat. The Santa Rosa plum is hardly affected at all!
Early this spring, I sprayed both trees with dormant oil. It really helped reduce the aphid damage on the Ozark Premiere.
Here is a link to more information about Leaf Curl Plum Aphid: http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r611301811.html
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- What are some good perennials that flower all summer and do well in Utah?
- When is the best time to plant annual flowers outside?
- Do you have nutrient information on fall vegetables?
- Is it possible to eradicate puncture vine by sterilizing the soil with solar energy through plastic or glass?
- I purchased several pepper plants from a local nursery this spring one of them I do not know if the fruit is a pepper. They are black fruit about the size of a grape, full of seeds, and they do not smell hot, all the others are jalapeno.
- You might be a gardener if...
- Do you have information on average last spring freeze dates in Utah?
- When is the best time for transplanting Mint. I have some that is in a bad location and I need to move it.