Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I planted 2 plum trees several years ago. The 3rd year I had a huge crop. The next 2 years the leaves had what I think is peach leaf curl or at least that's how it made the leaves look. I sprayed both years with no improvement. This year I've also sprayed but after blossoming, the leafing is very sickly, the leaves done even really form, they just make tiny clusters of pale spikes that look like tiny curled leaves. Is there anything I can so short of digging them out? Can they be saved or I am better off just starting from scratch? How to I make sure what is there doesn't contaminate the new trees? Thanks.
Rate This FAQ
I have 2 plum trees in my yard - planted 3 years ago. One is a Santa Rosa, the other an Ozark Premier. Every spring, the leaves on the Ozark Premiere look like what you are describing. The problem is aphids. As they feed on new growth, the leaves are damaged, so as leaves expand they are twisted and deformed. Aphids are then able to "hide" in the curling leaves, so it becomes very difficult to treat. The Santa Rosa plum is hardly affected at all!
Early this spring, I sprayed both trees with dormant oil. It really helped reduce the aphid damage on the Ozark Premiere.
Here is a link to more information about Leaf Curl Plum Aphid: http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r611301811.html
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We moved here recently into a brand new neighborhood and are just now having a landscape Co. come in and lay sprinklers, top soil and sod. We will be planting bushes and trees. Question: Is it a waste of money, time and effort to try to establish perennials at this late date into virgin soil? Or should I wait until spring to do that part of establishing a flower garden?
- I have two Espalier apple trees and I would like to know when is the best time to prune them and should they produce every year or do they only produce by cycle's (every so many years)?
- What are some good strawberry varieties to grow in our area? I would like both june-bearing and ever-bearing
- We have been putting the dog poop in the composte pile. Is this going to be bad for our composte or for our garden?
- Can I recycle garden waste without composting?
- I found a spider in my garden among some weeds that matches the description of a black widow except it has three distinct white dots on its back.
- I purchased several pepper plants from a local nursery this spring one of them I do not know if the fruit is a pepper. They are black fruit about the size of a grape, full of seeds, and they do not smell hot, all the others are jalapeno.
- When, how and what do I spray my apple, cherry and peach trees with? I have inherited 7 fruit trees and I have never grown fruit trees before.