Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We live in West Jordan in an area with very clay soil. We would like to plant some low-lying evergreen shrubs in a narrow strip between our RV pad and a short vinyl fence. Do you have any plant recommendations that will work in our soil and don't require a lot of maintenence?
Rate This FAQ
Probably the toughest, most tolerant evergreen groundcover for such a site is juniper. One thing to watch out for is salt damage - avoid planting where de-icing salts will affect them.
Here are some of the more popular groundcover junipers:
Bar Harbor - stays very low, no taller than one foot and usually shorter. Blue-green in summer and purplish in winter.
Blue Chip - blue color in summer, tipped with purple in winter. Grows up to 10 inches tall and spreads wide.
Blue Mat - even shorter, reaching only 6 inches tall. Grows and spreads more slowly.
Emerald Spreader - very green, reaching only 7 inches tall. Doesn't spread evenly but will always be mounded taller in the center of the plant. Feathery texture.
Jade Spreader - green, low, growing into a dense mat. Turns dark purplish brown in winter.
Blue Rug - very flat form, silver-blue foliage tinged with purple in winter. Fairly fast growing.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- What should I do to prepare my lawn for winter?
- Do you have information on soil testing?
- We have a 3 year old maple tree that seemed to be doing great, but never lost it's leaves last fall. It showed no sign of life this spring and we were ready to replace it. A week or so ago it started sending out leaves at it's crotch. I'm pretty sure the top of the tree is dead. Do we cut it down to it's crotch (losing at least 8 feet of branches)? Will it regain a shape and will it be strong enough to survive the wind? What should we do with this tree?!
- We have solanum dulcamara, creeping nightshade, growing in our back yard. I could use some advice in how to get rid of it. Also, how dangerous is the plant to touch? Is the plant dangerous only when ingested?
- Do you have some advice on how to control mallow weeds? This has been an ongoing problem that even the powerful herbicides can only contain for just a few weeks. They always come back and completely overrun my garden. Any advice?
- I have an infestation of red ants in my retaining wall area where I also have plants. What is the best way to get rid of the red ants so I can weed etc. in that area?
- I live at an elevation of 6000ft. I am West of Cedar City in the mountains. I would like to know, what is the best low water and high traffic grass I should plant. I would like the type of grass that will stay green as early and as long as possible as well. Thank You Also, any good shade varieties?
- What can I do now to prevent weeds in my lawn?