Frequently Asked Questions

VINYL FLOORS

MILDEW

Carpet and Mildew

If the carpeting is damp, pull it up and let it dry. This is less expensive than replacing the carpet because of mildew damage. If the carpet pad is damp also, pull it up to dry or replace the pad. If the carpet is on a concrete floor, have the concrete sealed. When not sealed, concrete can sweat moisture and damage carpet. When selecting carpet for a basement floor, do not select one with a jute backing. Jute is a natural material that supports mildew growth.

Preventing Mildew

Mildew (mold) grows wherever is it damp, warm, poorly vented, and poorly lighted. If you do not want mildew to grow in your home, let the sun shine in and keep areas where mildew is likely to grow as clean as possible. Soil and grease provide food for mildew to grow. Also get rid of dampness by removing the cause of the dampness. To reduce dampness in and around the house make certain that water drainage is away from the house and crawl spaces are vented. To reduce moisture in the house, open windows, use exhaust fans and other fans, cook using lids, take short showers, and vent clothes' dryer to outside of the house.

Stains & Mildew

The best method to prevent mildew is to control the conditions so mildew will not grow. Hydrogen peroxide and mixtures of water and chlorine bleach kill mildew spores, but if the conditions occur again, then mildew will grow. The problem with chlorine bleach is that it damages and bleaches fabrics and materials. For mildew stains on upholstered furniture, wipe mold with clean dry cloth. Then sponge with dry-cleaning solvent. For mildew-stained tile and grout, clean with a tub, tile, and sink cleaner. Use a brush to clean the grout. If the grout is badly stained, make a solution of 3/4 cup liquid chlorine bleach to 1 gallon of water. Using a brush, apply the solution carefully to avoid splattering: rinse the grout thoroughly with clean water. To remove mildew on painted walls, use a solution of cup chlorine bleach to one gallon of water. Rinse with clear water and wipe the surface as dry as possible. Next time you paint, use a mildew-resistant paint.