Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
This year we've noticed that many of our scrub oak trees have not shown any leaves. Adjacent properties have the same issue.
Rate This FAQ
"We recently purchased property that has quite a few scrub oak trees. Last year these trees were full of leaves. However, this year we've noticed that many of our scrub oak trees have not shown any leaves. Adjacent properties have the same issue. We've also noticed that many of the scrub oaks in Wasatch and Summit counties have not yet produced leaves? Is the drought causing this or are there other factors? Our property does not have irrigation access."
Many trees and shrubs are suffering from late frosts we've had this year in northern Utah. Even cold-hardy plants have been frozen back. Past years' droughts usually don't matter in terms of their effects on this year's foliage so early in the year, as long as you currently have adequate moisture. If it's currently very dry then it could be drought, though the trees would have leaf-out and then later shown signs of drought injury. There also are a number of pests that can cause shoot dieback or temporary defoliation of Gambel oak; go to http://web2.ad.ext.usu.edu/drought/htm/publications/publication=5775
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- The governor's initiative says that I shouldn't water between 10AM and 6 PM. Won't I have disease problems if I irrigate at night?
- What causes tomato blossom end rot? How do you treat it?
- We live in a rural area and our indoor and outdoor water source is a flowing artesian well. It's only August, and the well is no longer "flowing." What has to happen for the well to start producing water?
- Can I use laundry water to water plants and lawn instead of just sending it into the sewer?
- I would like to replace my dying grass with wildflowers on a sandy, hill on S. mountain. What kind of wildflowers are drought resistant and would they grow well, and where could I buy them?
- How long should I run my sprinklers to irrigate my lawn properly?
- It is July 6th and I have a dirt yard now. Is it too late to plant a few trees and shrubs and would it be better to hydroseed now or wait until September?
- I have thinned out my scrub oak as a fire preventative, but I keep getting lots of runners. How do I control the runners?