Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
This year we've noticed that many of our scrub oak trees have not shown any leaves. Adjacent properties have the same issue.
Rate This FAQ
"We recently purchased property that has quite a few scrub oak trees. Last year these trees were full of leaves. However, this year we've noticed that many of our scrub oak trees have not shown any leaves. Adjacent properties have the same issue. We've also noticed that many of the scrub oaks in Wasatch and Summit counties have not yet produced leaves? Is the drought causing this or are there other factors? Our property does not have irrigation access."
Many trees and shrubs are suffering from late frosts we've had this year in northern Utah. Even cold-hardy plants have been frozen back. Past years' droughts usually don't matter in terms of their effects on this year's foliage so early in the year, as long as you currently have adequate moisture. If it's currently very dry then it could be drought, though the trees would have leaf-out and then later shown signs of drought injury. There also are a number of pests that can cause shoot dieback or temporary defoliation of Gambel oak; go to http://web2.ad.ext.usu.edu/drought/htm/publications/publication=5775
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- If I don't have enough water to fully irrigate all of my crop land should I try to spread the water across all of the acreage, or irrigate fewer acres with closer to full irrigation?
- How long should I run my sprinklers to irrigate my lawn properly?
- I am currently looking to put in a turf grass and I wanted to know which would be the better choice between Buffalograss, Blue grama, crested wheat grass or Sideoats grama grass?
- Can I use laundry water to water plants and lawn instead of just sending it into the sewer?
- What kind of grass does well in St. George with minimal watering and how/when can we start it from seed?
- Would Zoysia grass be a good alternative to the bluegrass?
- Where can I find an extensive list of drought tolerant trees, perennials and shrubs?
- The governor's initiative says that I shouldn't water between 10AM and 6 PM. Won't I have disease problems if I irrigate at night?