Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I am wondering if I have some sort of fungus in my lawn.
Rate This FAQ
"I am wondering if I have some sort of fungus in my lawn. I have a lot of spots that appear to be brown or dry. My wife has been putting more watering these spots for the last couple of weeks and they are not greening up. Do you have and suggestions?"
What you are describing sounds like heat and drought stress. However, if you have increased the watering to those areas without improvement, it is probably something else. One possibility is a disease, usually caused by some type of fungus. Often, treating with fungicides is very expensive and you can be just as effective by managing the grass to keep it healthy. Consult the Utah State University Extension Publication HG-517, Basic Turfgrass Care. You can access it online at:
Another possibility is insect damage. This time of year you could be seeing sod webworm damage, grub damage, or billbug damage. If you have noticed some small, white moths flying around as you walk across the lawn, it indicates sod web worm damage. If the grass can be pulled up and rolled back like a carpet, it indicates grub damage. If you tug on the grass and the blades pull out very easily, it indicates billbug damage. I would recommend consulting the Utah State University Extension Agent in your county for suggestions on treating your lawn for these insects. As with disease, you can also be very effective in controlling the damage by managing the grass to keep it healthy.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Why are the needles on my spruce tree turning brown and dropping?
- What fall gardening tasks will help reduce plant pests next year?
- I wanted to ask your opinion on fertilizing my lawn. I have so many weeds this year that I don't know what to do. The lawn is currently being fertilized by a company that comes out every 2-3 months. I started using them at the end last summer but maybe I selected the wrong company. Could you give me a recommendation on what to do to cut down on the weeds? Should I switch to a different company or do you recommend fertilizing myself? Thanks, Ryan
- Do you have tips for safely removing snow from sidewalks and driveways?
- I have tall thin Junipers in my backyard. They resemble a Hollywood Juniper but I am not sure of their species. They are 25 years old and have begun to look like they are dying, the needles are turning brown and falling off. Is there anything I can do to save them?
- What is killing all the scrub oak and where can I find information on how to save the scrub oak I have that has not been affected by it yet?
- There are yellow jackets in my yard, how do I control them?
- Do you have tips for naturalizing a landscape with bulbs?