Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Do weevil turn into moths? If not where would moths come from in my food storage room? and how do you get rid of them?
Rate This FAQ
Weevils are small beetles. Moths have a caterpillar stage, but are not weevils. Weevils are common grain infesting pests. Store grain in plastic buckets with dry ice or oxygen absorbers to kill live weevils or moths. If there are eggs, they won't be killed during that treatment. They can be killed by retreating the grain with dry ice of oxygen absorbers at a alater date. This publication http://extension.usu.edu/files/foodpubs/fn371.pdf can help give more details.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I used the approved recipe for canning apple pie filling, including leaving a 1 inch headspace. However, after taking out the jars I noticed that filling had bubbled up out of the jars during processing. The lids seem sealed, but how can I be sure they are safe? Should I have left a larger headspace than 1 inch???
- What protein content should my stored wheat have?
- How much water should I store?
- I know that I should add lemon juice to bottled tomatoes and tomato juice, but my husband hates sour stuff. Is there an alternative that isn't sour? Is there a recipe for 'V8' that is more palatable?
- I've read that dry pack food storage products expire within x amount of years depending on the product. My parents purchased a LARGE quantity (over 100 cases of #10 cans) of assorted dry pack 28 years ago from Desert Supply Company; wheat, cornmeal, powdered milk, eggs, instant potatoes etc. I'm having a hard time coming to terms with throwing it all out. Can you please confirm that this is wasted product or is there anything salvagable.. and if so for how much longer would it be good? It has been stored in a dry/dark cool basement.
- How long does pectin keep if the box has not been opened?
- I am trying to use flour that has been stores for about 30 years. It looks ok and tastes like flour but I have baked two loaves and they will not raise. they taste ok but how nutritional would they be?
- When and where do I go to have my pressure canner checked? How often should it be checked?