Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Does my stored food still have any nutritional value?
Rate This FAQ
Nutrients in food are affected by exposure to heat, light, and air. There are many nutrients to consider in stored foods. Following are some effects of storage on some nutrients:
· Calories - foods continue to provide needed energy over time
· Minerals - very little change in stored foods
· Carbohydrates - very little change in stored foods
· Proteins - change in reaction in recipe; for example old wheat flour will not rise, because the proteins are unable to form gluten
· Fats - oxidation (become rancid) creates off flavors and odors
· Vitamins - some loss over time; destroyed by heat, light, and oxidation. Storing and eating a variety of foods can assure adequate vitamin intake.
Rotate stored food within 2 to 3 years to maintain optimal nutritional value.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Do I need to treat water before storing it?
- Information for Canning at High Altitudes.
- I have a question about my pressure canned sliced peaches. I cold-packed sliced peaches covering them with a light syrup. Following instructions I packed them with 1/2 inch headspace and poured the liquid to 1/2 inch headspace. However, the peaches floated up so that they were not covered by the liquid during processing. I did run a wooden spatula down the sides of the jars and seemed to get all air bubbles out of the jar. I processed in the pressure canner according to instructions at 10 PSI for 10 minutes. When I removed the jars the liquid was boiling and there seemed to be a lot of air bubbles around the fruit. The jars were already sealed when I took them out of the canner after waiting 10 minutes after the pressure seal dropped. The liquid is down considerably - looks to be about 1 1/2 to 2 inches and the peaches are floating. There are air bubbles and air pockets. The seal is fine. Are these peaches safe?
- I would like to find a recipe for canning apple pie filling that is safe for my elevation. I have looked through your web sites to no avail. Please direct me.
- When and where do I go to have my pressure canner checked? How often should it be checked?
- How do I keep insects out of stored grain?
- How long can I keep stored foods?
- How to store fesh oranges to last as long as possible?