Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How do you read the code on canned goods to determine the expiration date?
Rate This FAQ
Each manufacturer has a different coding system. You can contact the manufacturer and they will help you determine what the product code means. As a rule of thumb canned goods have optimal quality if eaten within 1 to 2years. The food will be safe longer than 2 years, but quality will start to diminish. After 2 years canned products may become dark, have changes in texture, and changes in flavor. If the can is bulging, leaking, or rusting throw it away. If you open the product and it has a milky or slimy appearance or texture, rancid odor, corrosion on the inside of the can, or is moldy, discard the product.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Will you please send me a recipe for pesto?
- Is it safe to store food in their cans in the refrigerator?
- How safe are home canned quick breads?
- Are the berries on a Lodense Privet poisonous?
- Do you have tips for dealing with lactose intolerance?
- Do you have tips on safe food handling techniques?
- How can I encourage nutritious eating habits in my preschooler?
- I just prepared chicken and spilled juices on the counter, how do I sanitize the countertop?