Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How do you read the code on canned goods to determine the expiration date?
Rate This FAQ
Each manufacturer has a different coding system. You can contact the manufacturer and they will help you determine what the product code means. As a rule of thumb canned goods have optimal quality if eaten within 1 to 2years. The food will be safe longer than 2 years, but quality will start to diminish. After 2 years canned products may become dark, have changes in texture, and changes in flavor. If the can is bulging, leaking, or rusting throw it away. If you open the product and it has a milky or slimy appearance or texture, rancid odor, corrosion on the inside of the can, or is moldy, discard the product.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How can I eat healthier at fast food restaurants?
- What is the nutritional value of pickled vegetables and how much vit C etc is saved?
- I left a pot of soup out after dinner last night; I went to bed and forgot about it. Is it safe to eat if I boil the soup really hard for a long time?
- Is it safe to store food in their cans in the refrigerator?
- What's round and orange, has a wicked smile and great health benefits?
- Will you please send me a recipe for pesto?
- Can I use a wood cutting board?
- How many Tablespoons in a cup, quarts in a peck, etc.?