Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How do you read the code on canned goods to determine the expiration date?
Rate This FAQ
Each manufacturer has a different coding system. You can contact the manufacturer and they will help you determine what the product code means. As a rule of thumb canned goods have optimal quality if eaten within 1 to 2years. The food will be safe longer than 2 years, but quality will start to diminish. After 2 years canned products may become dark, have changes in texture, and changes in flavor. If the can is bulging, leaking, or rusting throw it away. If you open the product and it has a milky or slimy appearance or texture, rancid odor, corrosion on the inside of the can, or is moldy, discard the product.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I was wondering how long to cook a 15 lb beef roast in the oven & at what temperature. Do I need to add water? Cover with foil? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
- Can you substitute cooking oil for shortening/lard in a cake recipe in equal parts?
- Do habanero peppers ripen on the vine?
- What is being done to promote healthy eating in schools?
- Do you have tips for dealing with lactose intolerance?
- As I've grown older I've lost my appetite, can I get it back?
- Will you please send me a recipe for pesto?
- What's round and orange, has a wicked smile and great health benefits?