Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How do you read the code on canned goods to determine the expiration date?
Rate This FAQ
Each manufacturer has a different coding system. You can contact the manufacturer and they will help you determine what the product code means. As a rule of thumb canned goods have optimal quality if eaten within 1 to 2years. The food will be safe longer than 2 years, but quality will start to diminish. After 2 years canned products may become dark, have changes in texture, and changes in flavor. If the can is bulging, leaking, or rusting throw it away. If you open the product and it has a milky or slimy appearance or texture, rancid odor, corrosion on the inside of the can, or is moldy, discard the product.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- what is the best way to clean whole wheat? I am living in Korea and have purchased some wheat that appears to need cleaning, but I don't know how to do it/
- Would you answer some questions about food irradation?
- Are steam canners safe to use?
- Do I need to use soap and water to clean fresh fruits and vegetables?
- Will you please send me a recipe for pesto?
- What is the effect of irradiation on food packaging, especially on p.v.c?
- How many Tablespoons in a cup, quarts in a peck, etc.?
- The nectarines on my tree are not round and smooth; they are lumpy. Is there something I need to do for the tree?