Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
By the end of June, our apple tree looked sickly, with faded, curling brown leaves. I am wondering if the leaves look the way they do because my husband doesn't spray regularly or because the tree is not getting enough water in our arid climate. When he does stick to a schedule, it seems that the leaves don't look much better. This is a tree that is nearly twenty years old. I have never noticed an infestation of bugs. Apples have gotten smaller and smaller by the year, most have worms. The tree is in our front yard and I really would like it to look healthy, regardless of whether or not we get eatable fruit. What should we do?
Rate This FAQ
It sounds like your tree is on its "last legs". Perhaps the root system is compromised in some way. Curling leaves might indicate herbicide damage. Wormy apples are due to codling moth. Some apple trees (Jonathan, especially) are very susceptible to powdery mildew, which affects the leaves. In other words, there are many unanswered questions; I cannot tell you a firm diagnosis.
If you would like to bring a small limb into our office, we may be able to help you better.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- When can I plant peas? Should the peas be soaked before planting them?
- Why are tomatoes turning black (dark) from the bottom up when they begin to ripen. They are also dark on the inside.
- A look at gardening catalog terms
- We have some shrubs in front of our senior center. Some are brown, others are perfectly green, and one is half green and half brown. I've taken three pictures I can e-mail if you want. Could you possibly help me diagnose the problem?
- Do you have tips for growing water lilies?
- My garden is infested with what I believe are burrowing wolf spiders. I know that they are not dangerous, but there are a LOT of them and they scare me and keep me from getting my gardening done. Is there a safe way to get rid of them?
- I would like to plant vegetables in containers this winter. What can you tell me about indoor gardening?
- When and with what should I spray my peach and apple trees for pests?