Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I live in Riverton, and have areas in my lawn that are brown and sparse. I planted the lawn from seed, a Kentucky bluegrass blend I bought from a nursery, at least 10 years ago. It grows well in cooler weather, but by summer it looks dead in patches and is stiff, not soft lawn for the kids to play on. I would like to put down some patch seed, but don't know what kind to use and how is the best way to plant. Do I have to take out the old lawn or can I just sprinkle it on and cover with a little bit of soil. Also, is there any way to control the wide leaf weed that grows throughout my lawn as well as the entire neighborhood?
Rate This FAQ
Your lawn is a blend of grass species or varieties. Some are more heat-tolerant than others, and some are more cold-tolerant than others. The part that browns out in summer is probably not too heat tolerant, so you may want to over-seed now with a more heat-tolerant cultivar.
USU Extension's publication "Turfgrass Cultivars for Utah" will help you select the grass seed you need. The publication is online at http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/HG_Grass_2004_01.pdf
I cannot tell exactly what weed you want control recommendation for. You can either bring a specimen in to our office or send a digital photo of it to us; if we can identify it we can tell you the most effective control for it.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have a lawn full of spiders. When I go to the flowers beds, probably a 100 spiders run out of the grass and bed. The spiders are about 3/8 of an inch long and dark brown. I would just like to get rid of them. What is the best approach?
- Reveille grass seed. How good is this type of seed for the West Jordan area(Oquirrh shadows area)?
- I need to know what is best for killing vines? I have a fence full and I would like to get rid of them.
- How can I make my lawnmower safe?
- we would like to plant a cherry tree in our backyard for the fruit and the shade. what would be the proper kind to purchase,we like sweet cherries.
- I wanted to ask your opinion on fertilizing my lawn. I have so many weeds this year that I don't know what to do. The lawn is currently being fertilized by a company that comes out every 2-3 months. I started using them at the end last summer but maybe I selected the wrong company. Could you give me a recommendation on what to do to cut down on the weeds? Should I switch to a different company or do you recommend fertilizing myself? Thanks, Ryan
- I have several Dwarf Blue Arctic Willows in my yard. This year they were full of some kind of wasp or bee. I waited until winter and the leaves dropped off to see if there was a hive or nest and there does not seem to be one. In looking for the nest I noticed some small black bugs on the wood. What should I do, if anything and are the two pests related in any way?
- What tasks should I be doing now in my orchard?