Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I live in Riverton, and have areas in my lawn that are brown and sparse. I planted the lawn from seed, a Kentucky bluegrass blend I bought from a nursery, at least 10 years ago. It grows well in cooler weather, but by summer it looks dead in patches and is stiff, not soft lawn for the kids to play on. I would like to put down some patch seed, but don't know what kind to use and how is the best way to plant. Do I have to take out the old lawn or can I just sprinkle it on and cover with a little bit of soil. Also, is there any way to control the wide leaf weed that grows throughout my lawn as well as the entire neighborhood?
Rate This FAQ
Your lawn is a blend of grass species or varieties. Some are more heat-tolerant than others, and some are more cold-tolerant than others. The part that browns out in summer is probably not too heat tolerant, so you may want to over-seed now with a more heat-tolerant cultivar.
USU Extension's publication "Turfgrass Cultivars for Utah" will help you select the grass seed you need. The publication is online at http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/HG_Grass_2004_01.pdf
I cannot tell exactly what weed you want control recommendation for. You can either bring a specimen in to our office or send a digital photo of it to us; if we can identify it we can tell you the most effective control for it.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I am buying a new house in Salt Lake County, and the entire back yard is weeds. I want to put in a garden towards the back and fill in the rest with grass. What is the best way to kill the weeds completely, without killing the new grass and affecting the garden?
- What herbicide/killer do we use to eradicate "salt cedar" & cheat grass??
- I have a lumpy yard. I have used a roller to flatten it with litte success I have also aerated and put seed as well and fertalizer down. What else can be done beforeI have to bring in a bobcat and start over?
- We bought a new home with no turf established in the backyard. Do you offer any advice for putting in our own yard?
- Do you have some advice on how to control mallow weeds? This has been an ongoing problem that even the powerful herbicides can only contain for just a few weeks. They always come back and completely overrun my garden. Any advice?
- Is it healthy for Kentucky Bluegrass to be kept at a cutting height of 2 inches if a reel mower (as opposed to a mower with rotary blades) is used?
- What is killing all the scrub oak and where can I find information on how to save the scrub oak I have that has not been affected by it yet?
- My euonymus has a white powdery film on the leaves, what is it?