Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I live in Riverton, and have areas in my lawn that are brown and sparse. I planted the lawn from seed, a Kentucky bluegrass blend I bought from a nursery, at least 10 years ago. It grows well in cooler weather, but by summer it looks dead in patches and is stiff, not soft lawn for the kids to play on. I would like to put down some patch seed, but don't know what kind to use and how is the best way to plant. Do I have to take out the old lawn or can I just sprinkle it on and cover with a little bit of soil. Also, is there any way to control the wide leaf weed that grows throughout my lawn as well as the entire neighborhood?
Rate This FAQ
Your lawn is a blend of grass species or varieties. Some are more heat-tolerant than others, and some are more cold-tolerant than others. The part that browns out in summer is probably not too heat tolerant, so you may want to over-seed now with a more heat-tolerant cultivar.
USU Extension's publication "Turfgrass Cultivars for Utah" will help you select the grass seed you need. The publication is online at http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/HG_Grass_2004_01.pdf
I cannot tell exactly what weed you want control recommendation for. You can either bring a specimen in to our office or send a digital photo of it to us; if we can identify it we can tell you the most effective control for it.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I purchased a white and pink dog wood from the nursery at Lowe's. We planted it according to directions about two weeks ago and I don't see any new growth on it at all yet. I broke off a few small twigs and it is still green. They are only about 4 feet high and were in pots when purchased. There were no leaves on them only bare branches. How long does it take to see if they are growing properly since they are guaranteed if they die. Thank you
- What is anthracnose?
- What fall gardening tasks will help reduce plant pests next year?
- Reveille grass seed. How good is this type of seed for the West Jordan area(Oquirrh shadows area)?
- Can you suggest some hardy perennials for my landscape?
- My blue spruce shrubs are turning brown and look like they are dying. What is wrong?
- Do you test soil?
- I was surprised when I recently spotted a snake in my yard. Aren't they most active in the fall?