Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I live in Riverton, and have areas in my lawn that are brown and sparse. I planted the lawn from seed, a Kentucky bluegrass blend I bought from a nursery, at least 10 years ago. It grows well in cooler weather, but by summer it looks dead in patches and is stiff, not soft lawn for the kids to play on. I would like to put down some patch seed, but don't know what kind to use and how is the best way to plant. Do I have to take out the old lawn or can I just sprinkle it on and cover with a little bit of soil. Also, is there any way to control the wide leaf weed that grows throughout my lawn as well as the entire neighborhood?
Rate This FAQ
Your lawn is a blend of grass species or varieties. Some are more heat-tolerant than others, and some are more cold-tolerant than others. The part that browns out in summer is probably not too heat tolerant, so you may want to over-seed now with a more heat-tolerant cultivar.
USU Extension's publication "Turfgrass Cultivars for Utah" will help you select the grass seed you need. The publication is online at http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/HG_Grass_2004_01.pdf
I cannot tell exactly what weed you want control recommendation for. You can either bring a specimen in to our office or send a digital photo of it to us; if we can identify it we can tell you the most effective control for it.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Do you have tips for safely removing snow from sidewalks and driveways?
- I have many large 20-25 feet scrub oak trees on my property. I would like to thin and prune them from the tops in order for them to look like the lower scrub oak I have seen in the area, about 10-15 feet. How low can I cut them from their tops without injuring them and what is the best time of year to do so?
- What is West Nile Virus and how can I keep myself safe from it?
- We have solanum dulcamara, creeping nightshade, growing in our back yard. I could use some advice in how to get rid of it. Also, how dangerous is the plant to touch? Is the plant dangerous only when ingested?
- I have an infestation of red ants in my retaining wall area where I also have plants. What is the best way to get rid of the red ants so I can weed etc. in that area?
- Do you have some pruning tips for ornamental and shade trees?
- What's killing Spruce and Pine trees in Utah?
- When is the best time to plant my grass in the spring? And how much fertilizer should I put on if any?