Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Many years ago the back nieghbors laid sod about 6 inches higher than our sod and leaned it on the back cedar fence. They also put in small trees about 3 feet from the fence. The trees proved to be junk trees and now we have endless roots protruding above the ground 4-5 inches. If i hit them with the lawnmower cuts of a small bit of root and dulls the blade. Their are too many to cut out, if we lay sod over them will this solve the problem?? Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks
Rate This FAQ
Laying sod over the tree sprouts will not solve this problem. There is no really good solution to this problem.
You could sever the roots that are growing into your lawn by trenching along your side of the fence. Most of the roots will be within the top 12 to 18 inches of soil. Then you could put some type of root barrier along the trench wall, like sheetmetal or plastic sheeting. This will help prevent or at least slow down the growth of tree roots into your yard from their trees.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Is it healthy for Kentucky Bluegrass to be kept at a cutting height of 2 inches if a reel mower (as opposed to a mower with rotary blades) is used?
- My roses and boxelder trees have sticky (sap) leaves, what is causing this problem?
- How can I attract hummingbirds to my yard?
- I have several Dwarf Blue Arctic Willows in my yard. This year they were full of some kind of wasp or bee. I waited until winter and the leaves dropped off to see if there was a hive or nest and there does not seem to be one. In looking for the nest I noticed some small black bugs on the wood. What should I do, if anything and are the two pests related in any way?
- I have a 25-foot tall scrub oak that appears to be dying. If it is anthracnose that is killing it, can it be saved? There are some commercial, injectable products that claim success. Is it possible?
- Why do maple tree and burning bush leaf edges turn brown in mid-summer?
- Do you have some advice on how to control mallow weeds? This has been an ongoing problem that even the powerful herbicides can only contain for just a few weeks. They always come back and completely overrun my garden. Any advice?
- When do I spray my lawn for weeds?