Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
What protein content should my stored wheat have?
Rate This FAQ
A protein content of 12 percent and above is most desirable. More information on types of wheat (hard red, hard white, soft red, etc.) can be found in FN-371 Home Storage of Wheat. http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/FN_371.pdf
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- how do I store fruits and vegetables?
- I would like to find a recipe for canning apple pie filling that is safe for my elevation. I have looked through your web sites to no avail. Please direct me.
- I used the approved recipe for canning apple pie filling, including leaving a 1 inch headspace. However, after taking out the jars I noticed that filling had bubbled up out of the jars during processing. The lids seem sealed, but how can I be sure they are safe? Should I have left a larger headspace than 1 inch???
- How do I keep insects out of stored grain?
- I have a question about my pressure canned sliced peaches. I cold-packed sliced peaches covering them with a light syrup. Following instructions I packed them with 1/2 inch headspace and poured the liquid to 1/2 inch headspace. However, the peaches floated up so that they were not covered by the liquid during processing. I did run a wooden spatula down the sides of the jars and seemed to get all air bubbles out of the jar. I processed in the pressure canner according to instructions at 10 PSI for 10 minutes. When I removed the jars the liquid was boiling and there seemed to be a lot of air bubbles around the fruit. The jars were already sealed when I took them out of the canner after waiting 10 minutes after the pressure seal dropped. The liquid is down considerably - looks to be about 1 1/2 to 2 inches and the peaches are floating. There are air bubbles and air pockets. The seal is fine. Are these peaches safe?
- Can I use bay leaves or nails in my wheat to protect from insects?
- How much water should I store?
- Do weevil turn into moths? If not where would moths come from in my food storage room? and how do you get rid of them?