Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How much food should I store?
Rate This FAQ
A basic food supply will contain one pound of dry matter per person per day. One pound of dry matter provides about 1600 Calories of energy each day. Dry matter includes: wheat, sugar, dry beans, rice, pasta, oats, flour, dried fruits, dried vegetables, dry milk, etc. Storing dry matter will provide calories, but other nutrients such as protein, vitamin, and mineral may be sacrificed. The addition of fruits, vegetables and storing a variety of dry matter will improve the nutritional quality of stored diets. USU Extension publication FN-503 Food Storage Cooking School "Use It or Lose It!" http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/FN_503.pdf has some excellent ideas for determining amounts of food for storage.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have tried pressure canning chicken 4 times now. I've done 2 batches cooked chicken and 2 batches raw chicken. All 4 times most of the water cooked out of the jars. Is this supposed to happen and is the chicken safe for us to eat?
- I have a question regarding commercially canned tomatoes. I have read on your website that the nutritional value of vegetables may not be maintained after the expiration date. I have heard somewhere that tomatoes are an exception, and there could be a problem with the tomatoes that would not be able to be detected, and that they should just be discarded at the expiration date for safety's sake. Is this true?
- Can I use bay leaves or nails in my wheat to protect from insects?
- What protein content should my stored wheat have?
- This is a food storage question. I have called Iams and Purina re cat food storage. They could not tell me how long I could store their dry food product in an oxygen free envirenment. I would like to store the food in 6 gallon buckets to which an oxygen absorber has been added. I have several members in my ward who are interested in this answer. Do you have any experience with this?
- How long can I keep stored foods?
- Can I store wheat, sugar, flour or other products purchased in 25 pound bags in a rubbermaid container? I am looking for space efficient ways to store bulk grains and legumes.
- What can I store water in?