Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
How much food should I store?
Rate This FAQ
A basic food supply will contain one pound of dry matter per person per day. One pound of dry matter provides about 1600 Calories of energy each day. Dry matter includes: wheat, sugar, dry beans, rice, pasta, oats, flour, dried fruits, dried vegetables, dry milk, etc. Storing dry matter will provide calories, but other nutrients such as protein, vitamin, and mineral may be sacrificed. The addition of fruits, vegetables and storing a variety of dry matter will improve the nutritional quality of stored diets. USU Extension publication FN-503 Food Storage Cooking School "Use It or Lose It!" http://extension.usu.edu/files/publications/publication/FN_503.pdf has some excellent ideas for determining amounts of food for storage.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- All of the recipes I can find for canning green beans require a pressure canner. Is there a safe way to can green beans using a boiler canner?
- What protein content should my stored wheat have?
- I am trying to use flour that has been stores for about 30 years. It looks ok and tastes like flour but I have baked two loaves and they will not raise. they taste ok but how nutritional would they be?
- Can you use canned food such as soups and vegetables past their use by date and if so how far past can you use them. How long does home canned fruits keep their nutional value?
- Can I store wheat, sugar, flour or other products purchased in 25 pound bags in a rubbermaid container? I am looking for space efficient ways to store bulk grains and legumes.
- I just prepared pesto today containing basil, pine nuts, garlic, italian cheeses, and lemon juice, pretty much in that order from largest quantity to smallest. For how long could I keep this in my freezer before the oil will go rancid or the pesto will otherwise be inedible. Seems to me that I kept some a while back for 6 months, and after eating it I got sick, though this could be coincidental.
- how do I store fruits and vegetables?
- How long does pectin keep if the box has not been opened?