Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I moved into my house, from out of state, with a yard full of weeds (dandelions, morning glories, etc.) When would be a good time to treat them? Before or after winter hits? Any suggestions of products to use? Thanks!
Rate This FAQ
If we have a few days with high temperatures between 70 and 80 degrees, you could go ahead and treat the weeds this fall. A basic weedkiller herbicide with 2,4-D in it will kill dandelions very effectively. Field bindweed (aka morning glory) is much more difficult to kill, and responds better to a glyphosate-containing (broad spectrum) herbicide. But you can only use that in areas where you want to kill ALL the plants - because it is non-selective.
Always spray on a calm day, preferably in the morning. Select an herbicide that is labeled for your purpose, and mix it according to the recommended rates for that purpose.
The USU Extension publication "Landscape and Garden Weed Control" is a useful tool to help you learn which herbicide to use. You can download that publication at http://extension.usu.edu/files
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I want to make a portion of my yard a 0scape environment. How do I prepare the area so that the grass/weeds to not take over? What tools will I need to make the soil acceptable? What time of year is best to plant new plants for this area?
- I sodded my back yard 3 years ago with RTF. It has not held up well, especially in the higher traffic areas where it is completely dead. Any suggestions?
- Why are the needles on my spruce tree turning brown and dropping?
- Leaves on my maple tree have turned yellow, but the veins are green. Is this an iron problem?
- I've noticed lots of caterpillars eating the leaves of my Birch trees--they look like inchworms. I've also seen them in neighbor's trees. Is there an infestation, and what can I do about it?
- I live in rose park and am selecting trees to add to my backyard. I have full sun and dark rich soil. I want a good shade tree but am not sure what would be best. I have been looking at different types of maple trees but am wary about their growth rates. Are there any trees that you could recommend?
- Reveille grass seed. How good is this type of seed for the West Jordan area(Oquirrh shadows area)?
- My front yard has large patches of dead grass. Originally I thought it might be a result of grubs, but dug down and didn't see any larvae or grub worms. The condition is worsening and now I've noticed pencil-eraser size holes throughout the dry areas. Do you know what this is and how to prevent or stop it?