Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I moved into my house, from out of state, with a yard full of weeds (dandelions, morning glories, etc.) When would be a good time to treat them? Before or after winter hits? Any suggestions of products to use? Thanks!
Rate This FAQ
If we have a few days with high temperatures between 70 and 80 degrees, you could go ahead and treat the weeds this fall. A basic weedkiller herbicide with 2,4-D in it will kill dandelions very effectively. Field bindweed (aka morning glory) is much more difficult to kill, and responds better to a glyphosate-containing (broad spectrum) herbicide. But you can only use that in areas where you want to kill ALL the plants - because it is non-selective.
Always spray on a calm day, preferably in the morning. Select an herbicide that is labeled for your purpose, and mix it according to the recommended rates for that purpose.
The USU Extension publication "Landscape and Garden Weed Control" is a useful tool to help you learn which herbicide to use. You can download that publication at http://extension.usu.edu/files
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Why are my older pine and spruce trees dropping their needles?
- Do you have tips for safely removing snow from sidewalks and driveways?
- Is There Any Way To Eliminate Borers That Leave What Looks Like Sawdust At The Base Of Our Aspen Trees?
- What's killing Spruce and Pine trees in Utah?
- I live in Riverton, and have areas in my lawn that are brown and sparse. I planted the lawn from seed, a Kentucky bluegrass blend I bought from a nursery, at least 10 years ago. It grows well in cooler weather, but by summer it looks dead in patches and is stiff, not soft lawn for the kids to play on. I would like to put down some patch seed, but don't know what kind to use and how is the best way to plant. Do I have to take out the old lawn or can I just sprinkle it on and cover with a little bit of soil. Also, is there any way to control the wide leaf weed that grows throughout my lawn as well as the entire neighborhood?
- What herbicide/killer do we use to eradicate "salt cedar" & cheat grass??
- We moved two Moab two years ago. My husband wants to grow a nut tree on the southwest side of our house that is just bare dirt and gravel now. We also want a shade tree (no fruits or nuts) in our front yard that faces South/Southeast to give our house shade. I am originally from Utah County and I miss my trees! Is there anything comparable that would grow here in the clay?
- When is the best time of year to reseed my lawn? The weeds and spurge are out of control. Should I rototill the lawn to remove all the weeds first?