Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I moved into my house, from out of state, with a yard full of weeds (dandelions, morning glories, etc.) When would be a good time to treat them? Before or after winter hits? Any suggestions of products to use? Thanks!
Rate This FAQ
If we have a few days with high temperatures between 70 and 80 degrees, you could go ahead and treat the weeds this fall. A basic weedkiller herbicide with 2,4-D in it will kill dandelions very effectively. Field bindweed (aka morning glory) is much more difficult to kill, and responds better to a glyphosate-containing (broad spectrum) herbicide. But you can only use that in areas where you want to kill ALL the plants - because it is non-selective.
Always spray on a calm day, preferably in the morning. Select an herbicide that is labeled for your purpose, and mix it according to the recommended rates for that purpose.
The USU Extension publication "Landscape and Garden Weed Control" is a useful tool to help you learn which herbicide to use. You can download that publication at http://extension.usu.edu/files
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How do I keep stray animals out of my yard?
- My vinca minor has numerous yellow leaves this year. My husband keeps dumping water on it, thinking it needs more since it is yellow and at some instances brown. Are we watering it too much, or is it missing a nutrient that needs to be added? HELP!
- How do I kill gophers in my lawn?
- I am wondering if I have some sort of fungus in my lawn.
- I have a 25-foot tall scrub oak that appears to be dying. If it is anthracnose that is killing it, can it be saved? There are some commercial, injectable products that claim success. Is it possible?
- I wanted to ask your opinion on fertilizing my lawn. I have so many weeds this year that I don't know what to do. The lawn is currently being fertilized by a company that comes out every 2-3 months. I started using them at the end last summer but maybe I selected the wrong company. Could you give me a recommendation on what to do to cut down on the weeds? Should I switch to a different company or do you recommend fertilizing myself? Thanks, Ryan
- Do you have tips for making my yard more colorful this spring?
- What herbicide/killer do we use to eradicate "salt cedar" & cheat grass??