Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I want to switch my current lawn (bluegrass with some bermudagrass infestation) to a low-water and low-growth grass. I have a front lawn that's in shade most of the day, and the back lawn is mostly in sun. Will dwarf tall fescue work in this situation? Do you have any recommendations for the best DTF variety(s) to use? Also, will the bermudagrass be able to survive on less water and compete with the fescue?
Rate This FAQ
Where are you located? Unless you are in Washington County, bermudagrass it is not technically legal for you to plant it. In Washington County, however, it is legal. If you are thinking of the bermudagrass as more of a weed, then the answer to your question is yes, it will be able to survive on less water and compete with tall fescue.
As far as dwarf tall fescue goes, it should do fine in the conditions that you've described. It's difficult for me to keep up with the latest
varieties, so I would recommend you contact your preferred seed/sod supplier to discuss variety recommendations. It would be really difficult for you to discern differences between varieties for your application anyhow.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Why are my cherries wormy?
- Last May I planted an eight foot Sub-Alpine Fir in my new yard. My soil is very sandy. We deep watered the tree once a week throughout the hot season. The tree never showed any sign of stress until now (March). The ends of the branches are turning brown. I know these trees are sensitive. What can I do to best ensure the tree survives?
- I want to replace a sickly globe willow tree in my front, south-facing, sloping lawn. There are underground utility (water, gas, sewer) and irrigation lines running through the area. What trees would work best in this area?
- I am purchasing a 30 year old home with three large (15+ feet) blue spruce trees growing in the front yard. I would prefer not to cut them down, is it possible to transplant a large blue spruce in Utah? If so, who would do it and who would want them?
- What is killing all the scrub oak and where can I find information on how to save the scrub oak I have that has not been affected by it yet?
- Spotted spurge is taking over my lawn. What can I do now, in these hot August temperatures, to knock back this weed problem?
- Can you suggest some hardy perennials for my landscape?
- I have an infestation of red ants in my retaining wall area where I also have plants. What is the best way to get rid of the red ants so I can weed etc. in that area?