Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I just inherited a pressure canner. It's pretty well used and I'm a little nervous about using it. I've never done pressure canning before. Is there a place where I can get it checked out for safety, and how do I learn how to use it.
Rate This FAQ
Check with your local Extension Office. They can test the gauge and can look over the pressure canner. SOme really old models are not worth saving. New models cost as little as $80. Ask the Extension Agent if there any Master Canners in your county who could help you learn a little about canning.
Be sure and check out http://www.homefoodpreservatio
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Can powdered milk have a problem with mold?
- Does my stored food still have any nutritional value?
- I have tried pressure canning chicken 4 times now. I've done 2 batches cooked chicken and 2 batches raw chicken. All 4 times most of the water cooked out of the jars. Is this supposed to happen and is the chicken safe for us to eat?
- I have a question about my pressure canned sliced peaches. I cold-packed sliced peaches covering them with a light syrup. Following instructions I packed them with 1/2 inch headspace and poured the liquid to 1/2 inch headspace. However, the peaches floated up so that they were not covered by the liquid during processing. I did run a wooden spatula down the sides of the jars and seemed to get all air bubbles out of the jar. I processed in the pressure canner according to instructions at 10 PSI for 10 minutes. When I removed the jars the liquid was boiling and there seemed to be a lot of air bubbles around the fruit. The jars were already sealed when I took them out of the canner after waiting 10 minutes after the pressure seal dropped. The liquid is down considerably - looks to be about 1 1/2 to 2 inches and the peaches are floating. There are air bubbles and air pockets. The seal is fine. Are these peaches safe?
- Can I use bay leaves or nails in my wheat to protect from insects?
- When canning dry beans is it necessary to rehydrate by soaking them before you can them?
- What protein content should my stored wheat have?
- When and where do I go to have my pressure canner checked? How often should it be checked?