Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I just inherited a pressure canner. It's pretty well used and I'm a little nervous about using it. I've never done pressure canning before. Is there a place where I can get it checked out for safety, and how do I learn how to use it.
Rate This FAQ
Check with your local Extension Office. They can test the gauge and can look over the pressure canner. SOme really old models are not worth saving. New models cost as little as $80. Ask the Extension Agent if there any Master Canners in your county who could help you learn a little about canning.
Be sure and check out http://www.homefoodpreservatio
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- All of the recipes I can find for canning green beans require a pressure canner. Is there a safe way to can green beans using a boiler canner?
- Does my stored food still have any nutritional value?
- This is a food storage question. I have called Iams and Purina re cat food storage. They could not tell me how long I could store their dry food product in an oxygen free envirenment. I would like to store the food in 6 gallon buckets to which an oxygen absorber has been added. I have several members in my ward who are interested in this answer. Do you have any experience with this?
- I've read that dry pack food storage products expire within x amount of years depending on the product. My parents purchased a LARGE quantity (over 100 cases of #10 cans) of assorted dry pack 28 years ago from Desert Supply Company; wheat, cornmeal, powdered milk, eggs, instant potatoes etc. I'm having a hard time coming to terms with throwing it all out. Can you please confirm that this is wasted product or is there anything salvagable.. and if so for how much longer would it be good? It has been stored in a dry/dark cool basement.
- Do weevil turn into moths? If not where would moths come from in my food storage room? and how do you get rid of them?
- Can powdered milk have a problem with mold?
- How much food should I store?
- Where should I put my food storage?