Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
What are the best shade trees to plant in syracuse? Is it true that if they are fast growing they tend to break easily? Is that common or am I worrying to much about that?
Rate This FAQ
Yes, the old saying "live fast, die young" is generally true for trees. The softer wood of poplars, willows, locust, and other fast-growing trees is weaker and more often infested by pests and disease.
So, if you need quick shade, plant a fast-growing tree, but also plant a slower-growing tree, so that when the fast one dies in 15 years, you will have a good-sized strong tree to provide shade in that area.
"Selecting and Planting Landscape Trees" is a booklet available in your county USU Extension office, plus it is available for download from our website (http://extension.usu.edu/forestry/HomeTown/Select_SelectionandPlanting.htm)
This is a very good resource to help you make your tree selection.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- We have thousands of little green worms/caterpillars hanging from webs in our trees, eating the leaves til they are bare. What can we do to get rid of them?
- We have clover infesting our grass. Each clover plant has these pod-like objects, that when picked or brushed up against causes white larva-like and red seeds to hop or pop off. The red seeds stick to skin and clothing and is irritating to the skin. The clovers also have little yellow flowers that sprout. How do we get rid of these clovers so we might play and use our lawn again. How do you keep them from coming back?
- Do you have tips for edging my lawn?
- I have large steep slop in my backyard. I would like to plant a ground cover from seed. Is this possible. If so what kind would be best to keep weeds and bay, grow quickly and look appealing? I was wonder if Vinca Major or St johns wart would work? Thanks for your time Milt
- I want to make a portion of my yard a 0scape environment. How do I prepare the area so that the grass/weeds to not take over? What tools will I need to make the soil acceptable? What time of year is best to plant new plants for this area?
- How late in the fall season can you lay sod in northern Utah?
- What is anthracnose?
- How late in the fall should I water trees and shrubs?