Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Something is digging up my bulbs (tulips, daffs, etc.) and eating them. I know I have a squirrel in my yard, but do they eat bulbs? What else would dig things up and eat them?
Rate This FAQ
Yes, squirrels will dig and eat bulbs. So will pocket gophers. You will know which is stealing them by whether or not there are dirt mounds in the area (if so, it's pocket gophers).
Here are some links to information about
You can protect bulbs from digging squirrels by covering the area with hardware cloth - a wire mesh with 1/2 to 1 inch holes.
To protect bulbs from pocket gophers, you must bury hardware cloth around the bulb area perimeter.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I've neglected to do my "last mow" up to this point. We've already had several nights of light frost. My grass is long but I worry about causing even more damage by mowing at this late juncture, mid-November. Are there any risks to mowing grass after the first few frosts?
- When do I spray my lawn for weeds?
- I have several Dwarf Blue Arctic Willows in my yard. This year they were full of some kind of wasp or bee. I waited until winter and the leaves dropped off to see if there was a hive or nest and there does not seem to be one. In looking for the nest I noticed some small black bugs on the wood. What should I do, if anything and are the two pests related in any way?
- Do you have tips for safely removing snow from sidewalks and driveways?
- Do I need to prune my trees this spring?
- I wanted to find a herbiside for "Puncturevine" and/or "Tribulus Terrestris"...but found no place on your website to look for specific weed(s) and/or the best method to control and eliminiate them. Can you provide me with assistance on this issue?
- We bought a new home with no turf established in the backyard. Do you offer any advice for putting in our own yard?
- Last year my maple tree started losing leaves. I investigated and found it full of earwigs under the bark. I killed the bugs. The bark is falling off, Can I save my tree? It is over 20 years old.