Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
Something is digging up my bulbs (tulips, daffs, etc.) and eating them. I know I have a squirrel in my yard, but do they eat bulbs? What else would dig things up and eat them?
Rate This FAQ
Yes, squirrels will dig and eat bulbs. So will pocket gophers. You will know which is stealing them by whether or not there are dirt mounds in the area (if so, it's pocket gophers).
Here are some links to information about
You can protect bulbs from digging squirrels by covering the area with hardware cloth - a wire mesh with 1/2 to 1 inch holes.
To protect bulbs from pocket gophers, you must bury hardware cloth around the bulb area perimeter.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- My sycamore tree has brown-reddish spots along the leaf veins. What is it?
- I have lived in a 50 year old home in Murray for 11 years. I have plants trees, bushes, perrenials, annuals, vegetables (nothing exotic). The trees seem to grow normal but a lot of the plants don't seem to grow much. They flower and look normal but not much growth. I have worked the ground a lot with mulch and commercial fertilizer but do not use manure or fish emulsion because my dog tries to eat it. What can I do to stimulate growth in my gardens?
- What is killing all the scrub oak and where can I find information on how to save the scrub oak I have that has not been affected by it yet?
- What is killing my lawn? It was fine in the spring, and now this summer, it is looking dead in patchy spots.
- I have a stand of scrub oak trees in my front yard with large growths on the trunks and branches on the trees. Do you know what this is and what I can do about them?
- I have three large Austrian Pine trees that I would like to xeriscape under. Do you have suggestions for low-water use plants that will grow in mostly shady conditions under pine trees?
- When should I be pruning my roses?
- I have 2 cottonless cottonwoods in my back yard. They are both about 7 years old. I noticed this spring that the trees have really grown tall but on the main limbs in the middle of the trees there are no limbs coming from them. I also find little pieces of new branches all over my lawn like they have come off right at the base where they connect to the tree. There are also at those points little scabs of some kind right where the branch has broken off. What is wrong and can I save these trees? I grew this kind of tree because they are fast growing trees and I wanted to enjoy some shade while I was still around to enjoy it. I am so afraid that there is something seriously wrong and those years will be lost. Can you help me with the info I have given you? I would appreciate it so much if you have an idea of what is wrong and what I can do to fix it.