Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I saw a small, dark green, spruce tree planted next to the corner of a home in a nearby neighborhood. Are their dwarf varieties of this tree? It is not an dwarf Alberta Spuce- I have already verified this. If so, what are they called. I would like to find one for my yard.
Rate This FAQ
I'm guessing your neighbor is growing a Picea glauca 'Densata', also called a Black Hills Spruce. It is the same species as the Dwarf Alberta Spruce (White Spruce), but a different cultivar. It grows very slowly and has dense green foliage. It is tolerant of shade, but cannot tolerate wet soil, so be sure to plant it somewhere with good drainage.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- How invasive are globe willows? Also, what is the distance they should be from the septic system and water lines, etc?
- Why do maple tree and burning bush leaf edges turn brown in mid-summer?
- I have about an acre of commercial property that I want to control all vegetation. Is there a good ground sterilizer on the market? Where can I purchase it?
- I live in Toquerville, 20 miles north of St. George, but still just as hot. I'd like to plant a medium to large tree in my front yard to shade the garage a little. There is no grass, no regular water. I will be watering it by hand/hose until it's established & then would like something that could tolerate hot, dry summers. Maybe the Texas Honey Mesquite or African Sumac. Do you have any suggestions for me?
- We live in Riverton with heavy clay soil. Will gypsum pellets help the soil so water does not run off so much? Can gypsum be applied on top of existing grass? In soil flower beds? In vegetable gardens? Is Utelite better than gypsum? Thank you.
- I sodded my back yard 3 years ago with RTF. It has not held up well, especially in the higher traffic areas where it is completely dead. Any suggestions?
- I've noticed lots of caterpillars eating the leaves of my Birch trees--they look like inchworms. I've also seen them in neighbor's trees. Is there an infestation, and what can I do about it?
- Something is digging up my bulbs (tulips, daffs, etc.) and eating them. I know I have a squirrel in my yard, but do they eat bulbs? What else would dig things up and eat them?