Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
I saw a small, dark green, spruce tree planted next to the corner of a home in a nearby neighborhood. Are their dwarf varieties of this tree? It is not an dwarf Alberta Spuce- I have already verified this. If so, what are they called. I would like to find one for my yard.
Rate This FAQ
I'm guessing your neighbor is growing a Picea glauca 'Densata', also called a Black Hills Spruce. It is the same species as the Dwarf Alberta Spruce (White Spruce), but a different cultivar. It grows very slowly and has dense green foliage. It is tolerant of shade, but cannot tolerate wet soil, so be sure to plant it somewhere with good drainage.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- I have 2 cottonless cottonwoods in my back yard. They are both about 7 years old. I noticed this spring that the trees have really grown tall but on the main limbs in the middle of the trees there are no limbs coming from them. I also find little pieces of new branches all over my lawn like they have come off right at the base where they connect to the tree. There are also at those points little scabs of some kind right where the branch has broken off. What is wrong and can I save these trees? I grew this kind of tree because they are fast growing trees and I wanted to enjoy some shade while I was still around to enjoy it. I am so afraid that there is something seriously wrong and those years will be lost. Can you help me with the info I have given you? I would appreciate it so much if you have an idea of what is wrong and what I can do to fix it.
- When do I cut back my shrubs?
- I have a scarlett red maple. It's about 8 years old and last year the leaves didn't get very big. This year, it hasn't even began to bloom yet although, It has tiny buds. I noticed that the bark in some places peels off very easily. Under the bark, it looks like there may be some black flecks (maybe bug feces). I only noticed one little red colored bug under where I peeled the bark. I don't see any other bugs anywhere, even at the base. Do you think it could have a disease or bugs? I am going to put some fertilizer steaks around it and pour some Bayer Advanced tree and shrub insect control around the base of the tree. Is it too late to spary it?
- I have a stand of scrub oak trees in my front yard with large growths on the trunks and branches on the trees. Do you know what this is and what I can do about them?
- How late in the fall should I water trees and shrubs?
- Do you test soil?
- How is the best way to kill morning glory weeds in a new lawn?
- When is the best time to plant my grass in the spring? And how much fertilizer should I put on if any?