Ask a Question
Notify Me On Question Update
Email this Question
We live in West Jordan in an area with very clay soil. We would like to plant some low-lying evergreen shrubs in a narrow strip between our RV pad and a short vinyl fence. Do you have any plant recommendations that will work in our soil and don't require a lot of maintenence?
Rate This FAQ
Probably the toughest, most tolerant evergreen groundcover for such a site is juniper. One thing to watch out for is salt damage - avoid planting where de-icing salts will affect them.
Here are some of the more popular groundcover junipers:
Bar Harbor - stays very low, no taller than one foot and usually shorter. Blue-green in summer and purplish in winter.
Blue Chip - blue color in summer, tipped with purple in winter. Grows up to 10 inches tall and spreads wide.
Blue Mat - even shorter, reaching only 6 inches tall. Grows and spreads more slowly.
Emerald Spreader - very green, reaching only 7 inches tall. Doesn't spread evenly but will always be mounded taller in the center of the plant. Feathery texture.
Jade Spreader - green, low, growing into a dense mat. Turns dark purplish brown in winter.
Blue Rug - very flat form, silver-blue foliage tinged with purple in winter. Fairly fast growing.
Submit Your Suggestion
Other Questions In This Topic
- Do you have tips on managing grasshoppers in my yard?
- What herbicide/killer do we use to eradicate "salt cedar" & cheat grass??
- How can I attract hummingbirds to my yard?
- We bought a new home with no turf established in the backyard. Do you offer any advice for putting in our own yard?
- We have clover infesting our grass. Each clover plant has these pod-like objects, that when picked or brushed up against causes white larva-like and red seeds to hop or pop off. The red seeds stick to skin and clothing and is irritating to the skin. The clovers also have little yellow flowers that sprout. How do we get rid of these clovers so we might play and use our lawn again. How do you keep them from coming back?
- Will hydrangias and dogwood trees grow in South Jordan?
- What can I do now to prevent weeds in my lawn?
- I wanted to find a herbiside for "Puncturevine" and/or "Tribulus Terrestris"...but found no place on your website to look for specific weed(s) and/or the best method to control and eliminiate them. Can you provide me with assistance on this issue?